Author Topic: Thursday night shark fight, but not for me! 03/09/17  (Read 2413 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Thursday night shark fight, but not for me! 03/09/17
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »
Hit the good ol spot up and were greeted by perfect conditions. Warm air, low surf, no weeds a very nice night indeed.

Started the soak at 4PM, figured it was too early but what the hell we had our buddy Tom in tow, hoping to get a shark on his own setup he just purchased, and I'm sure to impress his lady friend :D! Anyhow about an hour and a half goes by and Tom's rod gets yanked off to the left in it's holder, his girlfriend and I said it looks like you got hit hard. He was skeptical for some reason and started reeling in. He said "there's nothing on here dude!" I was like damn, but as he cranked in a big bendo and he said "Yeah there is actually something on here!" Lol! This seven was a glutton for aerobatic displays breaching clear out the water and slapping its face multiple times, it was a really cool fight. Went over to some other guy fishing, sounded like he was a Kiwi, told him my buddy had a 7 on and was coming towards him. He was just casting an LC and said "I see it! Enjoy!" Very cool guy. Go for the tail and Tom got a nice 88" male to play at 5:30PM broad daylight!!

Anyhow satisfied with that he left at about 7PM to get back to the valley. After that I had several very tentative bites that would shred the bait off the hook but not give me enough time to set it. At around 7:45 I was talking to Pat and heard a huge splash in the water and turned around to see Pats rod sliding down the beach. He got to it in time but he tried to set the hook and snapped himself off. Well at least it wasn't me this time lol. I get a few more very obvious bites but again was like it was carrying it in its mouth and not eating it. Around 8:30 Pat gets his redemption and lands a 70" male.

The last hour and a half we soaked our baits for no hits, but when we reeled in at the end of the night, bare hooks. A great night with the girlfriend and friends, I sand handed both the sharks so at least I got the real fight lol! The kiwi even made me feel good by saying, " I really liked the way you handled that shark." Well at least I'm doing something right! Good luck to all of you tomorrow! Go Team VC!

P.S. They are definitely breeding right now, both males had engorged claspers and fully visible hemipenises exposed! Mackerel, Incoming, 1-2ft Surf, What's a moon phase?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:25:37 PM by SevengillTheVC »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday night shark fight, but not for me! 03/09/17
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
At least you got to sand hand some sharks. You'll get them next time.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »
Very cool.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
Nice guys!
Glad to see they're still popping!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »
So jelly! Surf was pounding for SD today.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »
It's great to see you putting up reports and spending time on the sand...........life goes on brother   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
I'm starting to think VC never ever tried to get bats yesterday!

Well congrats guys!  More going to be added to the list here soon.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.