Author Topic: Surf Donkey (03-16-17)  (Read 2189 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Surf Donkey (03-16-17)
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Hit the surf hoping to strike gold with another grinner and stay a couple of steps ahead of Binh ;)  He wasn't free, so it was another solo sesh for me.

Had macks and bonito for the enticements. My newly serviced and improved SM reel was ready to be tested. Planned on getting an earlier start, but as the case with me, life always gets in the way and I don't get on the sand until 8:45pm. Mack and bonito heads go out and come back hollowed out. The center and tail sections come back skin and bones. Critters were in full force!! My rod tip was doing the dance all night.

Was throwing decent sized baits, but decided to up my offerings and tossed a center chunk as big as my fist. It soaks for a good 2-3 minutes then my rod goes full bendo pointing directly into the water like a divining rod. No need to set the hook on this guy! Put reel in gear and push the star drag forward a bunch just to slow it down. Was thinking bat as it ran non-stop with no head shakes. It then throws me for a loop as it turns and heads straight for me, forcing me to wind like hell just to catch up. Soupfin on steroids??!!  Humongous 7gill??!! It heads left running parallel with the beach then goes right and just hunkers down. Bat for sure! It stays hunkered down for a good minute or so and then my line starts vibrating off and on. Crap, it's either laying next to some kelp or a bunch broken up kelp and eel grass is collecting on my line as I was I had some on after every cast.

I push the star drag forward just a bit more and attempt to lift it. Worked like a charm! It takes off to the left and I chase after it. End up about 50yds south of my gear. I finally get it in the skinny and she looks massive!! One more good wave rolls in and she's on high ground. Damn, my back is pretty sore at this point!! I drag her up, flip her over, and pop the hook.

53.5, maybe 54"

She's a big girl from the surf!! It has been a while since I've had tussle like that. Sweat dripping off of my forehead down my nose onto the reel while running up and down the beach was awesome and sucked all at the same time. Funny, I was telling Binh how much I missed a big surf bat just a few days ago. Well, got my fix...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:17:52 AM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Donkey (03-16-17)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
 :o
Nice one Mike, she's huge! Great pics too  :)
Congrats on the big surf bat!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
Better than a skunk. That is a big one to land solo.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
Well damn, it's a week late.  LOL

Great surf bat, Mike.  It's been a long while since I've caught a surf bat, but your story reminds me of the pains of fighting a big bat.  Did you have enough line on that little reel?  were you nervous at all?

My damn back is hurting just looking at that slug!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »
Well damn, it's a week late.  LOL

Great surf bat, Mike.  It's been a long while since I've caught a surf bat, but your story reminds me of the pains of fighting a big bat.  Did you have enough line on that little reel?  were you nervous at all?

Plenty of line! It got into the braid backing, but I have 250yds of 50# braid and about 60-70yds of 40# mono. Although, my casts are all over 70yds as it hits the braid before my rig lands in the water. Only worried when I felt something rubbing on the line half way through the fight. I'm telling you, that little reel is tough and well engineered!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:03:18 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
Bruiser! ... Back Bruiser that is .... ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

That's the same thing I was thinking while I read the post.  Tis a beast for sure, glad you didn't catch it a week ago   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »

That's the same thing I was thinking while I read the post.  Tis a beast for sure, glad you didn't catch it a week ago   ;)

Everyone should experience winning at least once in their life... everyone except Chip  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
As I posted on FB, it is a bit late, but a very nice bat, CONGRATS !!!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »
Nice mike 8)

Landed one solo from the surf in the mid 50's , I know exactly what you went thru 8)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »
You have balls, I like balls. LOL. Nice one Mike, I haven't had to deal with a surf bat in a long time, they are always a pain and doubly so when solo!