Author Topic: Looking for buddy/ guide for surf shark fishing  (Read 2581 times)

Dirty jer-z

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Looking for buddy/ guide for surf shark fishing
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
Hey what's up. I was recommended by a friend to your site. I'm big into surf fishing and could use a guide to help me out. I'm from the east cost i.e. Jersey, Virginia and outer banks area so I'm a little lost. I've been getting by with a little knowledge from the pier heads but they know very little of the 15 foot surf pole game. Any advice is welcome in areas to fish. Really could use a buddy to show me around the southern San Diego area. Getting tired of the bat rays in the bay. Caught 7 last week over 100 pounds . I really want some big sharks. I've caught a few leopards. All my gear is rated for big game, i.e. 100 pound braid with 12 to 15 foot rods and 120 to 200 pound leader. I go out every weekend and sometime during the week. If your looking to go out please let me know.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for buddy/ guide for surf shark fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Gear wise, you appear set. 7 bats over 100lbs is pretty impressive!!! Not that I want to tangle with that many ;) I recommend you check out he blog section for some quick guidance until someone invites you out to fish with them.

http://prehistoricsoul.com/category/fishing-blogs/

It appears you share some background with our resident Jersey boy Tom (Latimeria). Maybe he'll throw you a bone. We could hook up for a sesh once the surf dies down a bit.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Dirty jer-z

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
Ok I plan on hittin the beach Saturday. I guess I'll try imperial beach or maybe there might be some leopards left in the bay. Getting worn out from the bay rays. If anyone is down hit me up. Try hitting me up on fish brain under dirtyjerz or check me out on the facebook under Jamar kampf. I don't really need fishing advice as much as I need general location advice but all is welcome😁

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »
Sounds like you're already there. Finding the fish is half the battle after rigging, finding time to fish is the other half. Use google maps and look for reefs and kelp near shore then go check out those spot.
Keep it tight

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
Find place you can even access on Google earth but watch the tide lines. There are beaches that a high tide and a little surf will take all the land.

Got ran up the side of a cliff one night when the access point got cut off.

IB is just too polluted for me.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:22 PM »
Sounds like you're already there. Finding the fish is half the battle after rigging, finding time to fish is the other half. Use google maps and look for reefs and kelp near shore then go check out those spot.

agree - there's no secret spots really. look on google maps and hit the reefy areas. Trying new spots a lot. When you look at the maps, try to identify the 'peaks' where there's white water. Good luck out there. wish i fished as much as you  :P :P

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 06:52:58 AM »
Palm ave has some deep water drop off by the jetties if you could get 70+ yards out.  South TP by the corner, there is structure, but a long hike down.  Fish the surf spots at night as the sharks roll in when it gets dark.  I'm sure you'll bump into someone on the boards here sooner than later.

Generally, the fishing slows down as the summer approaches.  The sharks always seem to be there, but as it is light later and later, you have to stay out even later which is getting tougher for me these days.  That and I usually get my boat out more often with the later light conditions.

I'll message you if we get a group out to hit the surf soon.  The conditions are currently crap, so hopefully things get better next week.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dirty jer-z

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:02 AM »
Ok sounds good. So what your saying is if the surf is really ruff it's gonna be a sh!t day and my best bet is to pick a random beach off of google earth. Well I hope I pick the right one. Not really sure how to look for reefs. We don't really have that out east. Can you name a few beach areas in San Diago to look at and I'll just check them out.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
PM sent
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jamar, I'm Jerry ... I was the guy that told you about the site.  8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
Welcome!  These are good people.

Dirty jer-z

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
Gonna hit up mission bay tomorrow again if anyone is in the area. Me my son and a few friends. But if the beach isn't too ruff I may go out to ocean side. Too many rays in the bay but better than getting skunked