Author Topic: A Last Stop Salvage (7/8)  (Read 2886 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Last Stop Salvage (7/8)
« on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:26 PM »
I turned down a trip to run with a buddy since I only had half a day to get out there before having to get home.  It was a little breezy, but with the SW wind, it was smooth sailing to LJ.
There were 4 of us buddy boating and goal number one was to find mackerel.  We all had a hell of a time as our usual spots were quiet.  No birds, no splashing bait, no life.
I forgot OTL was happening this weekend...

I finally found a spot with some macks and called my buddy over.  The macks didn't even want the sabiki, but I managed a dozen along with a couple of smelt.  My buddy had a hell of a time in his boat and only managed 1, but we didn't want to waste our day away just trying to find bait.

LJ was pretty busy even though I thought everyone would be running offshore.  The water was warm but green green green!  Lots of floating vegetation in the water also with a super strong uphill current.  My buddy is usually the guy that always seems to catch, but he was having a really hard time out there as well.  I wanted glory and refused to switch to rockfish, even though I was going to get to a point where I would catch anything.

I ran up to Torrey Pines... then Solana beach... inshore and offshore for no signs of life except for dolphin schools everywhere.  I had one moment of almost glory when I was halibut fishing and get slammed! It bull dogged me on the bottom and I tried to turn him for 2 minutes... Hook pulled.. AHHHHHH!!!!!!  I've been farmer Tom lately!  I reeled up to see that my leader was slightly abraded...  damn, it looks like it was Mr Sharky and not what I was after.

Unfortunately for me, the wind picked up and when I turned around from my smooth ride north, I had wind and whitecaps in my face.  I talked to my buddy and he said all of his friends were having crappy fishing so I shot offshore and trolled/paddy hopped the way south.  Nada, nada, nada...  I came in and decided to try and find some old go-to spots since I've lost them with the purchase of a new fish finder.  Damn, I found my little rubble pile.

The drift was almost 1.5 mph and all I could do was get one cast in before I was off of it... but I caught one on each drift.  I decided to drop anchor and set up over the pile... WOW, WOW, WOW

It was pretty much a bass a cast for the next 1.5 hours.  I didn't have a tape on board, but my australian cutting board had a tape in centimeters.  lol, I had to use Google to conver it to inches since F&G was cruising all over today busting people.

It was funny, all of the bass seemed to be 34 cm long!  Well maybe a third of them... the rest were all about 30-32 cm.
I went through a half a dozen jigs too.  I lost 3 swimbaits, an iron and 2 bucktails.  Those bucktails were a terror on those bass!  This bucktail on the calico is probably 30 years old and I've had it that long.  Unfortunately the rubble ate it, but it did great while I still had it!

I was counting at first and had 24 in 45 minutes of fishing.  Unfortunately lost count but had the same or better success for the next 45 minutes.  I told myself I had to get home and if I made 5 casts without a fish, I would pull anchor and leave.  I got bit 4 of the last 5 casts, but failed to get one in the boat, so stuck to my guns and headed in.

For a half day trip, I fished a lot of waters and got a little beat up in that wind.  The swell also doubled in size from when I launched, but it was very managable.
The last spot Saving Grace!  I'll take it!

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: A Last Stop Salvage (7/8)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
Sounds fun.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
At least you got some in the end.

Kinda glad to see with Kitty down I'm not missing any epic fishing out there. I hope to be back up and running in early August.

Jim

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
At least you got some in the end.

Kinda glad to see with Kitty down I'm not missing any epic fishing out there. I hope to be back up and running in early August.

Jim

Jim

It should start getting good by then... or at least I hope!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
I'm just happy to keep seeing trouble free reports from you Tom   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
I'm just happy to keep seeing trouble free reports from you Tom   8)

Thanks Verne, me too!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
Get it out of your system now cause on the 22nd you will be here eating pork !! ;D ;D