Author Topic: First Rigs I've Tied/Improvements  (Read 12096 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
First Rigs I've Tied/Improvements
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
I've been making some pretty basic rigs for my early outings (https://kamranwalsh.smugmug.com/SharkRay-Rigs/) but I'm looking to find ways to improve them. I'm ordering some more sputnik sinkers (the ones I had before did their job a little too well in a couple inconvenient rocky areas) but so far I actually haven't had too many problems with the regular 8oz pyramid. They roll around a little but usually stay in the same area during calm to average surf conditions.

I'm looking to tie up some rigs that suspend the bait off of the bottom like three-way rigs but I've been having trouble finding suitable three-way swivels that are strong enough. I also worry about the wire leader and the section of line that goes down from the swivel to the sinker wrapping around each other, a problem I've had before with similar rigs.

What are your guys' thoughts? Is it advantageous to depart from the simple rig I've been using so far and if so what are some recommendations as far as making three-way rigs and similar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tight lines

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: First Rigs I've Tied/Improvements
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
Hey Kam,
3way rigs seem to work great for most senarios. You can vary the lengths of the bite leader and sinker leader. As much as it seems like they would tangle, I very rarely have that problem. I get my 3way swivels and other rigging from catchalltackle.com
I've recently started using an all steel pulley rig that I really like, but it's painful to loose one because of all the cost involved.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:00:53 PM by xjchad »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
Been fishing 3-way rigs for years. A tweak here and there but basically the same.

It wraps up a little but rarely to the point it is too jacked up to fish. I feel like it happens most on the retrieve when the bait spins.

I feel like the Sputnik sinker holds better and helps the hook get a pre hook set grab.  Still miss some bites, but get more than I lose.

Keep thinking of trying fancy pulley rigs but haven't done it yet.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
One other thing Kam.  I can't tell what size mono you have tied to the swivel, but make sure you have a shock/rub leader of 80-100 lb. mono. 
You'll have to play with the length.  I usually use 15-20' but your levelwind might get destroyed with that knot going through it.  Might have to be a bit shorter.  I'd say 10' minimum.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:27:12 PM »
I vary back and forth between 3ways, fish finder, and pulley rigs with the 3way gettin more use.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:40:55 AM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
Also, there's some threads on rig making and one I started on where I buy rig making materials. Do a qui k search.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try to check out some of the other posts about rigs. I have trouble viewing the pictures on a lot of them though. I’ll see if I can make up some 3 way rigs for next week.

Also good call on the topshot; I’ve only been using one about 6’ or so and I’ll increase the length;  my rod is 12’ long so 8-10ft should still be okay for casting.