Author Topic: Story of the Bastard Grinner 1/19/15  (Read 8594 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Story of the Bastard Grinner 1/19/15
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
Hit the beach around 4:30PM. As I approached to set up I see RayChavez there, was happy to see he made it. He informed me the eel grass situation was grave, instant regret. Nah, I knew it'd probably be kinda gnarly seeing as it has been the past few weeks. High tide at 9:30PM, a nice negative low to + 5 ft swing. Conditions were rather rough along with a lot of  salad. Hours go by without a bite, I run some extra mackeral the bait shop gave me to Ray to see if he was having any luck since I saw lights flickering,  so I thought. Another hour rolls by and Ray stops by to shoot the sh*t for a moment. He noticed his buddy, Eric.H from another forum, tangoing with something, we soon parted ways. This time I saw the distinct flicker of camera light and ran over to check it out. A sevengill was on the beach, hooray! However it was Ray's cast, on his setup, hooked and landed while talking to me by Eric. No body wanted credit for the grinner, he was a bastard. Stoked to see one, we taped her out, about 58" give or take, wasn't really cooperative. I wore the stripe for the first time in 2015 but at least I got my hands on one. Ray may have some pictures, I know he didn't want the credit but perhaps he'll post him. Good fishing with you again man! Next target date is on Thursday, hopefully we can get some bruisers!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:30:23 PM by SevengillTheVC »

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Story of the Bastard Grinner 1/19/15
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:03:36 AM »
     Yeah, it was a tough trip, and I've bin putting in alot of work for those 7's the last yr....  go figure I finally get my 1st...But like this, come on! Lol
    Never can let your guard down, it'll always be when you least expect it...
    Can't wait for my next shot to make things right

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:10:05 AM »
Whenever I walk away from my gear, I tell someone to catch my fish for me. Don't remember it happening. I do remember someone losing my fish for me though.
Sorry Ray, and I don't like it much either, but that is Eric's fish. I think it comes under "snooze you lose" or something like that.

There are nicer ones out there, watch your gear and get one of them.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
     Yeah, it was a tough trip, and I've bin putting in alot of work for those 7's the last yr....  go figure I finally get my 1st...But like this, come on!

Bummer dude, that's why I never venture away from my rods.  Fishing two even makes me nervous............while I'm bringing in a smelt on one the other will do the 'ol "scream"  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:48:10 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
Just happy to see a 7, and see that I was doing everything right, to a point atleast, I'll be back up there soon tho

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
Hey man like I said, I called that I'd post the first one. You have posted the first one, so it's win there, I think, maybe I'm too competitive  ;D. They'll be here when you come back up!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
Yep, even though I like to be the one catching fish, I know the rules when you walk away from your rod.  I still say you all won as your group got the target species which is not an easy task.  I tell Steve all the time that all I care is to see one of us catch what we came out looking for as it is usually a team effort to catch and land them.

Congrats on the first 7-gill of 2015!  That is a damn good sign that we may seeing quite a few more reports with them!

Well done fellas!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
Yep, even though I like to be the one catching fish, I know the rules when you walk away from your rod.  I still say you all won as your group got the target species which is not an easy task.  I tell Steve all the time that all I care is to see one of us catch what we came out looking for as it is usually a team effort to catch and land them.

Congrats on the first 7-gill of 2015!  That is a damn good sign that we may seeing quite a few more reports with them!

Well done fellas!

Agreed, it's better to see a fish than to see nothing all night, even if you didn't catch it. As soon as these damn weeds go away then we shall see more catching, hopefully.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Just happy to see 1, and I know EricH wasn't happy either that the 1st 7on both out parts came like this. Now I have to go back many more time for redemption....damn, what a present problem...

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
Awesome guys! Congrats on the first 7.

Pretty funny story ...  ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
Nice! One of many on my list of having yet to catch.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »

I hear that !!! I have the 7 gill scratched ... but the soupie is elusive for me as well.  >:(

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

I hear that !!! I have the 7 gill scratched ... but the soupie is elusive for me as well.  >:(

Me too :(.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Soupie's fight like super sized leopards on steroids...  You'll know the second you hook up.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
The heck with it, fresh macks acquired, full tank of gas,  round II tonight!