Author Topic: Two for Five (2/12)  (Read 3840 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Two for Five (2/12)
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:10:25 AM »
Hit the S.S.K. with Squatch on what looks like the last fishable day in a while with the fronts moving through.  Found an area in-between loads of kelp and fished it.  In about 15 minutes of Squatch's first cast, his rod does the Wobble. He ran a long way to his rod and it still was there, just not exactly what he was hoping for.

On his next cast, he gets the more definite Sevengill Rod Wobble before it totally bends over!  You can tell this was a nicer fish, so I reeled in not to be the reason if he lost it.  After a tough fight and a few grabs in the surf, we finally got her tailed and slid on the beach!

Beautiful 91" Male Sevengill!

The surf would go from flat calm to 4 footers every 15 minutes, so timing the tail grab was essential.  The weird thing was lack of water movement.  Steve got this girl at the top of the tide which was only expected to drop a half a foot before low tide.

Not long after and Squatch is on again!  WTH!!!!  I think he was thinking Soupfin, but after a battle back and forth, his line snapped and it was back to retie.  I capitalized on him being out of the water and not long after got a SCREAMING hit!  Ripping line and I set the hook.  All she did was swim away before the hook pulled and I lost my chance.   :(

We then had a pretty good lull in the action with only a couple of smaller bites here and there. 
By the end of the night we were preparing to pack up.  I was only going to cast one more bait when Squatch's rod doubles over!  He's on again!

He fought this one for some time and it was coming in before it self released!  (I can't remember if it pulled the hook or broke off).  This was a great sign for one last shot, so I pinned on a Skipjack Steak and hoped for the best.  Well, Skippy is king of baits...

I saw the rod jump and grabbed it.  Just then, I felt it load up and on the last cast...Fish On!  I stopped abruptly at one point like it was a bat ray in the mud, but finally took off again.  This is important for one of the upcoming pictures.

This thing kicked my ass.  I thought it was a big sevengill from all of the surface splashing, but it turned out to be a Soupie!  It took a while trying to get her in the skinny water as she would stay just a few feet out of Steve's range.  I really thought I was going to lose her since my line was shredded for 20 yards.  It was such a terrible feeling until Steve got a hold of her tail and slid her up!

71" Female Soupfin!

Last Cast CURE!  Man, did that feel good getting one on the beach so I wasn't skunked.  We called it quits and made our way back up to the trucks.

When I got home, I downloaded the pics and saw something funny on the Soupie... Now I know why it seemed to sytop and stick in the "mud".

Anyway, it was another great night and more sharks to add to the list.  It's always a fun time when everyone gets a shark!

Until next tide!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:08:31 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Two for Five (2/12)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:28:13 AM »
You two are on a roll, super stoked for both of you.  Conditions for us look dismal until next Tuesday, hoping to get out then.  Looking at the bite marks makes me realize what a tough life being a fish is, no matter what kind of fish.............it's a dog eat dog world    :o
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:27:05 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
Great job guys!  Glad to see lots of action!
Those marks look like sevengill teeth no?

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Nice ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Well, I was sitting down to post a report at lunch break and found this. Saved me the trouble.

Bittersweet night once again with more fish lost than landed. At least the water was clean and I only lost one rig.

Also received some sad news. One of our favorite bartenders is moving away soon. Going to have to break in a new one.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
Damn nice! After this front I gotta get back out there and keep grinding. I definitely deserve a bunch of skunks after last fall but hopefully it'll turn around soon.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
I caught two perch last night... I’m gonna come poach your spot ;D! Nice job once again gentlemen!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
I zoomed in and think I see bigger gashes also.  I noticed it last night, but just wanted to get her back quickly.  It was awesome to see it in the pictures.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 07:41:57 AM »
Hell yeah! Nice job guys.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
Yes, Congrats! You guys are on fire!

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »
Love seeing the tail rope ...  ;D 8)

drakesndrum

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 02:25:06 AM »
Nice job!  Snowing over here today, spring can't come quick enough for us on the east coast!

Red Sox vs Yankees spring game on Saturday ...yes it's once again baseball season!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:05 AM »

Like you say, getting older...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 05:55:11 AM »
Nice job!  Snowing over here today, spring can't come quick enough for us on the east coast!

Red Sox vs Yankees spring game on Saturday ...yes it's once again baseball season!

Be prepared my friend for Boston to get Beat Down! :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »

I always loved the tail rope....  ;)