Author Topic: Joined the Club 2/26/19  (Read 5810 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Joined the Club 2/26/19
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:43:18 AM »
 Started off the day  thinking it might be a solo mission. Tom had family stuff and I have a standing event Wednesday evening I don't like to miss. Thankfully I got a text saying he would be down after dinner.

Spent a couple hours at the bar waiting for the beaches to clear out. Chatted with some nice snowbirds from Indiana.

Got to the beach and it was beautiful. Nearly flat and crystal clear water. The gray sky gave way to a beautiful sunset. Down side was a group of dog walkers that wouldn't keep there dogs away from my stuff. Seriously, a pack of 12.

Tossed a bait out and it sat untouched. No critters, nothing. Reeled up a ping pong ball size clump of weeds. Not bad.

Something inspired me to make a short move, so I set up and soaked another chunk of bait. I heard some clanking behind me and turned to see Tom arriving on the beach. I walked over to say hi and give the report up to then.

Just as I decided to check my bait, before Tom even put his stuff down, I'm on. Run, grab the rod and the night just got good.

87" male ready to party on the mackerel.

Tom gets set up after landing my fish and puts out a bait. I threw a big hunk of bonito, and we commenced to see if there was another bite to be had.

I think he changed his bait a couple times as I let mine soak. Then I look up and notice just a subtle movement of Tom's rod tip. I would have just let it be if it was my rod, but I have seen Tom jump up and run to his rod for much less, so I told him he might be bit. Turns out I was right.

89" male on the mackerel, also ready to party.

We commented there must be a big momma out there somewhere.

Not long after that, as I contemplate the sad fact that I can't gain any damn ground on Tom, I'm bit again.

93 1/2 inch male on bonito.

Things slowed down a little, no critter bite to keep us busy bait checking and stuff. We did see a guy land a nice halibut down the beach. 30" or more, nice fish but too far away to say for sure.

We watched the rod tips and the dark sky for awhile. I thought I saw my tip move so I hustled over to check it out. Slack line, so I reel like mad until I come tight and the surface of the water explodes. Fish on. All the fish were good fighters, thrashing about and such. It was fun.

This one took a good run, then came in fairly close. Must have rubbed the bottom because at one point it just headed up the beach. It passed under Tom's line and 50 yards up the beach. I wanted to get a better angle, but didn't want to ease up. I hear Tom saying, "You need to get down here," so I ducked under and circled to try to get an angle pulling toward the beach not along the beach.

In the mean time, Tom was trying to get the rope around its tail. The trough made it tough, from ankle to hip deep in one step. At one point I thought he was going swimming.

Finally he gets the rope around its tail and tries to pull it in. He tells me to get down there and help pull, and between the two of us we were able to barely get it out of the water. It was the big momma.

Tom is soaked up to his elbows, I'm worn out. I get the rope off her tail and a wave comes up and mercifully she swims off on her own. So cool to see the big dark shapes swim off in the clear water.

Took me four tries to re rig. My knots just wouldn't work. Tom put out another bait, but I just sat and watched.

My entry into the 100" plus club. 102" female on bonito.

Called it quits not long after. What a night. Dragging a little today.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Joined the Club 2/26/19
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:02 AM »
Oh heck yeah Steve!!!  8) 8) 8)
Congrats on joining the 100+ club!
We should get tattoos or something  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
Great night fishing once again with so many fat sharks!  Congrats Boss.  That 102" was a beauty!  I was whooped trying to wrestle that thing from the surf after dealing with the previous 3!

I have 6 sharks to add to the list tonight from the last few outings.  I almost had another one from last week, but C'est la Vie.

Maybe I'll make stickers for the 100" club... or maybe I'll start a citation service.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
Amazing, just Amazing! Congrats, to you both!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
You two are truly on a roll, I super stoked for both of you.  We're ZERO for two, hoping to get out Saturday..................congrats on joining the 100" plus club Steve   :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:53:32 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Damn incredible job! I gotta stop bass fishing and get back out on the sand. Or at least go for a PCH drive next Tuesday and look for headlamps  ;)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »
Maybe I'll make stickers for the 100" club

YES!  :D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
Damn incredible job! I gotta stop bass fishing and get back out on the sand. Or at least go for a PCH drive next Tuesday and look for headlamps  ;)

You wouldn’t be the first one.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Another thing I forgot to mention. We didn’t lose any fish. Guess we knocked the rust off over the last few sessions.

Going to enjoy it while I can.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
They really seem to pack on the pounds when they hit 100+. Congrats guys. If the rain holds off, I’m planning on making a run north on sat night.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
I hate you guys! j/k  ;D  Congrats on the hot bite!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
I hate you guys! j/k  ;D

That’s OK Binh. Sometimes I hate Tom the same way.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 07:04:11 PM »
Holy hairy shark balls. That's one heck of a night you guys had! Congrats!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 10:20:54 PM »
Congrats Steve! Welcome to the club. My 100+ was a lifetime fish couldn't believe how freaking heavy she was.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
FREAKEN FATTIES!!