Author Topic: Bust'in Out Bass Rods (8/21)  (Read 2368 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Bust'in Out Bass Rods (8/21)
« on: August 22, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »
My shoulder is the worst it has felt in a long time and I'm already at my max of cortisone shots for this joint.  The pain and lack of sleep has been overwhelming, so I was planning on resting it up and not fishing this weekend.  I talked to my buddy Dave and put the drain plug in just in case, but got nothing put together.  I saw there has been some local yellows and found out Saturday (today) is my grand daughter's 1st birthday, so yesterday was my only window I had.  I couldn't sleep as every time I rolled over, I would move my arm and wake up in pain.  Sometime after 3:00am, I realized I wasn't going to get any restful sleep, so I got up and started packing up the boat.  I usually do this the night before, so it was weird trying to pack everything up and stay quiet enough to not annoy all the neighbors.

I heard of "Red sky in the morning, Sailor's take warning", but don't remember any sayings about the sun being so red.  Probably ash from the fires up north?

On the way out, I noticed the old jetty navigation pad on the barge, so they were done placing new boulders.

Goal number one was to find bait.  I didn't meter any around and drove a long way to find it, but got a healthy mix of sardine, mackerel and Salema.

I decided not to spend too long bait fishing so went to work with the artificials at first.  It was really good bass fishing as I got them on the plastics, iron, megabait, hydro-minnow and even live bait.

Almost all were legal, but the first thing I noted was all of the bass were so lit up!  Not sure why, except that they were in breeding mode.

Even the smaller ones were nice sized.

So many golden colored ones...  must be breeding...

Most of the turd rollers looked normal, nut then I pulled up this crazy lit up one!  Hybrid? or just lit up breeder?

I also had 3 WSB, but only one made it into the boat when I tried pulling them in.  I was hoping to find momma somewhere, but it was nice to see this spot has so many juveniles around.

Then the snot sticks came rushing through and I was about done with these little things.  Ruining baits and hitting everything that touched the water.

I decided to head to some rocks and use the remaing baits to try and bring home something big and tasy as I CPR'd all the other fish.  It was a long ride back, but all of a sudden the water started frothing in front of me!  I killed the motor and grabbed the jig stick.  First cast and they sunk out but not before I get bumped on the jig... didn't stick... damn! 
4 casts later and this one stuck!  Fought the yellow for 5 minutes before it pulled the hook somehow.  Hooks are sharp, so not sure what's going on.
My shoulder and arm are on total fire now, so I opted to toss a bait out instaed, but only had a bass rod rigged up for live bait so I pinned a mackerel on and put it out while I searched for rigs to hook up a legitimate rod.  Figures, I forgot my rig bag in the garage..

I started tying something up when i kept hearing these strange creaky noises.  I look up and my bass rod it bent down to the handle!  Holy crap!
It was a long and tedious battle and bass flipping sticks are not ideal to catching nice yellowtail, so I took my time.  No boats came over and after a long battle, broke in my little gaff I made properly!

15 pounder!  (actually 14lbs, 13oz)

I caught more yellows this year on this little bass stick than all my other rods.  It has the magic apparently!  The funny thing is, even though it's a nice yellowtail, it is still almost 30 pounds lighter then the last one I caught!  LOL

Anyway, i called it early and saw the crane gettiing towed back to Long Beach.  My shoulder felt like it was on fire, so I needed to get home and put it on ice!  I wish there wasn't an opioid issue because that's the only thing to make my shoulder feel better!  LOL

Thanks for reading... and Oh, the water was 74.9-75.6 where i was fishing.  It warmed back up in a hurry!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Bust'in Out Bass Rods (8/21)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:51:45 AM »
Awesome fishing report!
I bet you didn't notice your shoulder as much when you were hooked up with that yellowtail.

-Keith
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:14:52 PM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 03:45:56 PM »
You keeping the sealions occupied with the volleyball while fighting that yellow?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »
You keeping the sealions occupied with the volleyball while fighting that yellow?

I found it floating out in the great blue.  You should have seen my surprise when i turned it over!  hahahahaha

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 10:59:39 PM »
Hahaha.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
Very nice, light tackle Yellow fishing seems really fun, as long as it's not putting your through excruciating pain! Those golden bass are pretty cool too!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 03:30:15 AM »
Sorry about your shoulder Tom, hopefully you'll get it straightened out some day.  Nice fish on the bass rod.............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
Looks like a red sky in the morning is the way to go, I guess now you have to worry about one at night ;D