Author Topic: People, Salad, and Bat Rays (8/17)  (Read 2390 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
People, Salad, and Bat Rays (8/17)
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »
So I have been out maybe 5 times in the last year but with nothing but perch to show for it. Pat and I decided that the conditions looked excellent to do a real stab at some sharking. Lake like conditions, no wind, and a nice high flood at 8:30. We arrived at our go to beach to see it was PACKED, I have never seen this beach with so many people, literally every inch of sand had a gaggle of people on it. We did some random busy stuff like putting on new top shot, I respooled my critter rod, all in hopes the crowd would start to leave by hopefully 5 or 6 but no they weren't budging. Made the move a bit farther North to  a beach with some real estate only for it to be a single cast quitter when we saw how much chop, grass, and serious paddies were floating around. Moved back to the other beach and now it was 7 which only gave us three hours to fish this beach. Oh well, water was clean and now there wasn't nearly as many people to snag, but still more than usual. Pat puts himself on the board with a small perch. I was using mac slivers on my critter rod to see if any guitarfish wanted to play because I scared a few off while wading to cast the long rod. Around 8 my critter rod goes screaming and I get on the board with a bait ray, that we didn't keep, but it was fun on the light gear.

About 20 minutes later my longrod does a big dip with and pops back up I ran over and sent the hook home. Felt like the right kind but once we got it in realized it was just a medium bat.

It was quiet for the next hour or so and it was nearing time for us to pack it in but I got one more buzzer beater run, this time I could tell it was a bat again, but a slightly nicer sized one.

I'll probably wait a bit for the weather to cool off, sun go down earlier, and not a huge cluster of people are giving each other COVID :D. It was nice to get out and have some drag peeling fights, I'm starting to realize maybe I need a boat for summers.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: People, Salad, and Bat Rays (8/17)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 04:46:20 PM »
Hate summer crowds.

Hate late sunsets.

Still looks like a fun time.

Oh yeah. Hate seaweed.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »
I'm so stoked to see you out and about fishing!

These days need seeing other people's catches to remember all fish are fun, but people are not. LoL

Thanks boss. I hope you and Pat keep posting these fun trips. Stay safe guys.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:39:14 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »
Good to see the bats are biting. Motivates me to get out and try some more soon on the beach.
Last bat I got was three weeks ago off the jetty. Can't get them on the rocks so can't get a picture or measurements.
Great you got out and got some

-Keirh

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:06:56 AM »
I'll probably wait a bit for the weather to cool off, sun go down earlier, and not a huge cluster of people are giving each other COVID :D

Been a strange year for sure, we haven't made a evening run since middle March.  Good to see your smiling face again my friend............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
Great to see a report from you Buddy!
Glad you got to pull on a few, that's always a bonus!

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
Thanks yall it was nice to feel some real weight. And I promise I'll post perch photos if that's all we get on the next outings but like I said I'm probably gonna sit on it for a month or two :D.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:47:42 AM »
Bummer on the crowd, at least you were able to redeem yourself with a few players, Congrats  8)