Author Topic: The Three "B's" (9/18)  (Read 1668 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Three "B's" (9/18)
« on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »
My main goal was to catch small "Shark Sized" bonito and then fill up the morning with miscellaneous. 
Beautiful start to the day!

I get to LJ and it's 50 boats and 50 kayaks.  I so miss the normal years..

I didn't see much, but made a long ass run up the coast looking for signs of life.  It was short period swells and a constant pound along the way, but at least the wind didn't kick up yet, so at least the water was greasy looking.  I didn't make a single piece of bait as there was none to be found and I forgot my sabiki rod, so it was going to have to be sport caught baits.

I saw this funny looking wake and went over to investigate.  Oh CRAP!  A huge puddling pod of 20 class yellowtail!  I grab my jig rod and on the first cast get my jig bumped!  They were just lazily swimming and not in any feeding posture, so maybe I just bumped one of them?  Second cast was trying to get the iron in front of them, but of course lands right in the middle of them and they literally sunk out.  I have no answer for it.  I spent the next hour looking for them and others, but it was a friggand desert out there.

I decide to take the long trip back to LJ before the winds kicked up and see if anything had changed.  It did..., there was twice as many boats now!

I went into the kelp to get away from the madness, but found out my remote for my trolling motor died and appears broken somehow.  I had to fast drift instead and had a really decent bite on 12-14 inch calico bass.  Nothing smaller and nothing bigger.

Snot sticks were everywhere also.  I had to retie a bunch of times so I wouldn't lose my megabait.

I was in no mood to battle the armada of boats and yaks, so went out side and started trolling looking for bigger model bonito.  Radio chatter from the guys heading offshore saw them in deeper water and my shoulder is in terrible condition so It was time to do some trolling.
I trolled for a few miles zigging in and out of 3 depth zones and finally heard the magic creak of the trolling rod bouncing!

Decent fish!

That was it.  I trolled a bit more and had one more that unbuttoned and then the wind kicked up pretty good, so I called it and made my way back to the barn.  I got home to some terrible news and the day kept getting worse, so I drank myself to sleep. 

Well, that was it.  I'm going to waste my day away in the recliner, but glad to have gotten out yesterday and catch a nice bonito, even though I didn't find any shark sized ones.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Re: The Three "B's" (9/18)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
Man once bones get to that size they sure do have some mean looking dentition! Outta make at least 2 trips of bait seeing as how slow it's been :D!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: The Three "B's" (9/18)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:08:29 AM »
The Rona has everything/everyone Jacked up, the only place to go is in or near the water :(