Author Topic: Number 5. Just Can't Stop Me 11/11/2020  (Read 3232 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Number 5. Just Can't Stop Me 11/11/2020
« on: November 12, 2020, 05:00:33 AM »
 Tuesday the beach looked like crap after the storm so we gave it a day to clear up. That and a completely different beach seemed to do the trick.

Got set up just after sunset and waited for Tom to show. He was running late due to a lackadaisical kitchen staff, but he made it before too long.

Not a whole lot of action from the bait stealers. I did get a little round ray on a big chunk of skipjack though.

Drank a couple beers, perused the internet on my phone.

I noticed a small bend and release in the rod so I focused my attention where it should have been to begin with.

Good thing I did because the small bend was followed by a hard take down and run.

The fish took off straight away ripping line, then turned and came back in classic leo style. It also thrashed about on the surface. Not sure what is going on here.

Finally got it close enough for Tom to grab and lay eyes on a nice soupfin.

The rest of the night was a complete cluster. Just as we were ready to leave, Tom gets a subtle bite. His fish gets all in my line before I can clear it. Turned out to be a nice fish. Hopefully he can add a pic here or maybe his own report.

Edit to add it was 71 1/2” at the top of the tide on mackerel in 2 foot surf on a waning moon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 06:05:50 AM by sasquatch »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Number 5. Just Can't Stop Me 11/11/2020
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 06:05:06 AM »
First of all, I'm shocked and stoked to see the report up so early! hahahaha

Dude, you have been on fire and starting to give me a complex as I couldn't even muster a bite.  When you got that nice Soupfin, I started to feel defeated like you stole my beer homage to King Neptune when I wasn't looking, but what a relief to finally be on the board.  Still though, 5 trips in a row with grinners!  You were way overdue!

I would have missed my shark if I would have not been trying to will my rod tip to shake.  I was so stoked to finally get a little wiggle in the rod and just went for the hookset thinking maybe an eel or lobster.  When it loaded up and I heard the loud thrashing at the surface, I had to go into game mode, but she ran straight to the right pretty quick and I didn't think it was that big until she realized she was hooked.  Yep, that was a cluster of fishing line, but I'd like to think of it as you needed some fresh line anyway, so it just gave you the nudge to do so.  ;D

She was pretty thick.  I don't think she was pregnant, but had a big belly full of something and had some shoulders on her.

Steve's 72" / High Tide / Skippy? / Female

Tom's  92" / Outgoing Tide / Bonito / Female

Congrats again on your hot streak Squatch!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:21:36 AM »
 Had to beat you to the punch. I screwed myself on a half inch in my edit.

Have to admit I have enjoyed catching a few while you sat twiddling your thumbs.

That fish definitely grew between hook up and landing.

That line was actually pretty fresh, but now it will be fresher.

Glad you got one, and a nice one to boot.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:56:56 AM »
Haha well done gentlemen.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 07:22:00 AM »
Oh yes!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
Woohoo! Great session. Purty cow shark.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
I was at Bass Pro today and as I was looking at stuff I saw some shark leaders and I instantly thought about you two and wondered how you guys did, Looks like a success 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
Couple of very nice grinners you guys, nice job.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 02:19:13 AM »
Stoked for both of you, congrats all around.  My dad asked me last night at dinner when the sharks start playing, looking like I better look at the tides   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
Sweet!

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »
Tuesday the beach looked like crap after the storm so we gave it a day to clear up. That and a completely different beach seemed to do the trick.

Got set up just after sunset and waited for Tom to show. He was running late due to a lackadaisical kitchen staff, but he made it before too long.

Not a whole lot of action from the bait stealers. I did get a little round ray on a big chunk of skipjack though.

Drank a couple beers, perused the internet on my phone.

I noticed a small bend and release in the rod so I focused my attention where it should have been to begin with.

Good thing I did because the small bend was followed by a hard take down and run.

The fish took off straight away ripping line, then turned and came back in classic leo style. It also thrashed about on the surface. Not sure what is going on here.

Finally got it close enough for Tom to grab and lay eyes on a nice soupfin.

The rest of the night was a complete cluster. Just as we were ready to leave, Tom gets a subtle bite. His fish gets all in my line before I can clear it. Turned out to be a nice fish. Hopefully he can add a pic here or maybe his own report.

Edit to add it was 71 1/2” at the top of the tide on mackerel in 2 foot surf on a waning moon.

Sweet, looks like a great Sesh!