Author Topic: First Fish of 2021  (Read 1560 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
First Fish of 2021
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
Went down to Huntington Harbor today to join in my pal's maiden voyage with his float tube. I took my kayak. Planned to flip docks with a plan B to soak bait on a dropshot straight down.

At some point in that short, paragraph you might have thought, really? Today you did that? You thought THAT would be the thing to do today? Well I thought the wind would die out enough by noon, but it didn't really. So flipping docks didn't work out. No fish for us. Float tube was a much better option in the wind than the kayak though, lemme say that. We worked a 300 yard stretch in 3 hours but I kayaked 2 miles, nonstop adjustments. Better suited as a bait day for me. He casually sat wherever he wanted, casting while his legs made light work of the conditions. It was unnerving  ;D .

Over to the shore report...we got lunch at Duke's and then tried the beach from about 1600 til last light. We had the wind at our backs, the swell was a non-issue, and there was a wonderful trough and nice holes all around. Threw the crack and landed my 1st fish of the year on my 3rd cast.

A little later I got a little larger one close to the hard pack.

Jared beat his skunk with a dink perch.

An army of freighters were waiting outside the port. I hear that's on the verge of being called a national crisis. Clusterf$ck yak trip salvaged with the gorgeous sunset hour on the beach. 70 minutes both ways from and to Newbury Park.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: First Fish of 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:41:54 AM »
You sure earned those fish.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »
That's a lot of work for the first fish of 2021, but now you got it out of the way.  Good luck boss and may the fish be more plentiful here on out!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
Glad you found a few Jeremy, things have been really slow for us
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect