Author Topic: Palos Verdes 2/24  (Read 1697 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Palos Verdes 2/24
« on: February 24, 2021, 10:06:17 PM »
Conditions lined up nicely to take the Mosquito out on its first legal trip ever this weekend, so I got my OC friend Jared hyped up on a trip launching out of San Pedro. I settled on the game plan of working the Palos Verdes area and work underwater structure. I just got the Navionics app on my phone, so I have nearly unlimited topography at my fingertips, which is mind boggling to me still. I heard a couple reports from the area claiming 30 bass days fishing in 50-100ft of water so we were optimistic about finding at least a few bass.

Left Newbury Park at 6:30am and arrived at Cabrillo Beach boat ramp at 7:55am. On the water by 8:30am. On the way out we saw two humpback whales inside the harbor. Not sure how uncommon this is for LB but it sure sucks for them. There were 3 when we got back into the harbor.

First stop was in about 90ft of water. Lots of marks, no biters. Irons, swimbaits, and squid were on the menu today. 3 drifts and we kicked out further west.

Next stop, 60ft, lots of marks, no biters.

Next stop, 40ft, good marks, no biters.

We hopped from boulder to boulder, most had good looking marks on them. Bait shoals were around several which made it easier to confirm that I was definitely seeing some game fish. One stop I saw a number of very thick marks. Maybe seabass?? Maybe yellowtail??? Definitely not hungry!!!

Around noon we'd gone as far as we wanted to go west so we started rock hopping our way back, hoping maybe time would get the fish to open their mouths. 2nd stop coming back, we get a couple mackerel. Eh. Then Jared got a fat 15" sculpin that went back. He didn't know what it was, and he can handle fish, but I said let's not put that in the boat today, thanks.

He follows that immediately with a short but vivid turd roller on the drop.

Made a few more drifts on that rock but it wasn't giving it up anymore so onwards we went to a few more boulders for maybe one more mack. Ran by the confused whales again and was off the water around 2:30pm.

Man! I hope it was tough for everyone else out there, cuz with talks of 30 fish days, that trip made me feel stupid. I seemed to find a number of stacked spots at least, which gave me a little bit of hope in my new tech. Maybe we should have tried the kelp, but water is still pretty cold so I figured they'd all be down deeper. Beautiful day to be out at least. And I still haven't skunked out on the Mosquito. Bringing home a couple macks for that sweet dry aging :P .

Seems like every time I'm at the ramp, somebody is curious about the Mosquito rig. This time at the ramp, it was a particularly squirrelly character...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:27:37 PM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Palos Verdes 2/24
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 03:42:55 AM »
Very cool write up Jeremy, nice to not have to worry about the 'man' with you registration.  Hopefully when spring comes around things should pick up.  Thanks for sharing my man
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »
First of all, congrats on the first legal trip in the Mosquito!

I hate when there are marks everywhere, but the fish have lock-jaw.  Maybe because of the moon, they were feeding all night and not really hungry during the day?  Too cold?  Who knows, but I hate those days when I'm out there in my boat.

That squirrel is funny
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 12:13:23 PM »
I have never seen a SB so lit up! Hopefully your next trip you get into some real drag peelers!