Author Topic: Ben!  (Read 1816 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Ben!
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:33:30 AM »
How's Florida?  Any new species?  Are you fishing every single day down there?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Ben!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
Lol, did you post this before I posted my no-shark report? I somehow missed it!

The move went fine. It's amazing how reliable vehicles are these days that you can drive 2500 miles and only have to fill up gas and top off the air in the tires once. Florida is the 4th state I've registered the Subaru in. It's up to 115k miles after being bought new in Nov of 2012.

Rental house is ok, not great. Currently fighting the rental agency on fixing some plumbing issues, no mailbox, critters in the attic, etc. Our relationship is not off to a great start.

Got some salad greens going in containers, and I'm strategizing how to plant stuff in the yard. Looking forward to growing some FL natives such as Everglades tomatoes and Seminole pumpkins. The yard is essentially pure sand, so I'm not quite sure how to do a low cost garden without spending a ton on soil. I may end up digging a small hole for each individual plant and filling in with dirt. Tree service companies will dump wood chips on your driveway for free, so I'm definitely going to leverage that as a way to build soil.

Shark fishing is going to be awesome. Same with kayak fishing. Looking at shark gear online now. Thinking I may do a Spinfisher VI 9500 with 80 lb braid. I have plenty of 11/0 wide gap hooks, 200 lb coated wire, and 200 lb mono left over from a few years ago. I'll need new sputniks.

First new species was a swamp darter 3 blocks from my house.

Swamp darter

After the sharks stole my terminal tackle, I went and caught a few more small species from the Indian River Lagoon.

Goldspotted killifish

Checkered puffer

Frillfin goby

Nice photos of some ones I've caught before.

Atlantic stingray

Striped burrfish

And my first fish dinner as a FL resident. Another way to build soil, compost your fish carcasses!

Sheepshead

And then finally a couple more freshwater micros.

American flagfish

Marsh killifish

The kayak will get it's inaugural FL launch this weekend. I'll probably stick to the lagoon and look for tripletail, red drum, black drum, and snook.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Ben!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
Where in Florida did you end up Ben?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect