Author Topic: landed in Florida  (Read 2249 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
landed in Florida
« on: March 18, 2021, 08:48:33 AM »
Hey guys, just checking in to say that the move was successful. I can also report that I went shark fishing near Sebastian Inlet last weekend, but I got my ass handed to me by something much bigger than the sharks I'm used to. I was hoping for a 30-40 lb blacktip since I heard they are currently migrating through the area, but I learned the lesson that when you send a bait out you don't get to choose what bites. I'm guessing it was a big bull shark. I sold off all my heavy gear over the past few years, so now I'll have to put together a new setup. Not sure yet if I want to go spinning or conventional. I still like the idea of casting baits, but kayaking them out would let me do a shorter rod, heavier line, and longer wire leaders.

In other news, I have no problem catching weird little fish, haha.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: landed in Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »
Excellent Ben!  Glad to see you not missing a beat and just diving in like that!

Awesome about the sharks down there also.  You definitely don't know what you might possibly tangle into down there.  I'm happy the move went smoothly.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
Not sure yet if I want to go spinning or conventional. I still like the idea of casting baits, but kayaking them out would let me do a shorter rod, heavier line, and longer wire leaders.

What the hey, you got the kayak (and the balls).  I vote conventional with a shorter rod, waiting for some pictures!!!!!!!!!!  Glad you made it Ben, thanks for staying in touch
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »
Not sure yet if I want to go spinning or conventional. I still like the idea of casting baits, but kayaking them out would let me do a shorter rod, heavier line, and longer wire leaders.

What the hey, you got the kayak (and the balls).  I vote conventional with a shorter rod, waiting for some pictures!!!!!!!!!!  Glad you made it Ben, thanks for staying in touch

Hell yeah x2. A big fat retro Penn International is about the same price as a Penn 12/0 on eBay last I checked.

And I’ve been digging the motley crew species hunts!

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 09:33:21 PM »
You're gonna have to up your pastel game buddy. Minimum vented mesh back in SPF50.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:27:24 AM »
You're gonna have to up your pastel game buddy. Minimum vented mesh back in SPF50.

Agreed.  He looks way too California there and not enough pastel-ly Florida like.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
Haha, as a midwesterner originally I'm taking that as quite the compliment!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 10:46:05 PM »
Hope to see more reports from you!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)