Author Topic: Saturday Night Bat Fight-XIV  (Read 2410 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Saturday Night Bat Fight-XIV
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
So, I just talked to Bill Batson and he is sending some SWAG for the bat fight.  Soon as I see what he sends, I'll divvy up some stuff and see what I'm looking at getting out to people.  I'm assuming shirts, hats and stuff, but won't know until I get the package.   8)

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night Bat Fight-XIV
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »
Sweet, I can rep from Phoenix!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:23 PM »
Way cool. His swag is always top notch.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
Any idea on a date yet? I want to make sure my callender's open.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
Any idea on a date yet? I want to make sure my callender's open.

It's April 10th.  I've posted it here and on the FB page a few weeks ago, but have been up to my ears in work so have had no time to promote it better.  (I just saw that I posted it further down on an existing thread.... I'll fix that, but here it is)

Saturday Night Bat Fight - XIV - Rules and Sign Ups

Well, we are on year 14 already and have continued to be a fun and successful event throughout the years. This is a fun and free event that only has bragging rights at stake and great for anglers of all ages.

We were very fortunate to have the SNBF last year because everything shut down VERY quickly because of COVID-19.  This year, we are finally getting ourselves corrected from the pandemic, but it still resides in the world and thus we have some more precautions to take in order to make this a fun and safe event for everyone of all ages.  I ask that everyone follows the rules and precautions issued by the CDC.  You know the deal, masks, 6 feet apart unless you are from the same household and yadda yadda yadda.  You are responsible for yourself and those around you, so please respect the county and state rules to keep everyone around you safe.  To prevent any major gatherings, there will be none issued unless you guys come up with a spot to meet friends/family.  I am not able to fish since my shoulder is still in recovery, but I plan on roaming to a few locations to take some great pictures to share on the boards and meet up with some old friends.

The rules will be the same as in years past and listed below. Try your best to follow the rules which will make it easier deciding the winner.
This year’s event will take place on April 10th, 2021... rain or shine!

The Rules:
-The only fish that counts toward the ultimate winner is Myliobatis californica… aka the Bat Ray. All other species will only count as individual bragging rights.
-Widest wingspan measured over the top of the Ray (Taut Tape) with corresponding pictures. No loose or flat laying tape on the entire body and wings. (loose tapes will be prone to losing some inches)
-CPR (Catch-Photograph-Release) only. No gaffs or landing tools that cause direct injury to the fish permitted.
- The main area for each county will be picked by the Team Captain and any satellite groups must make sure they post their results by the given time of 11:59pm on April 10th, 2021
-Shore Fishing Only from the Surf or Bay. No kayaked baits, shore casting only.
-You can fish in any county you’d like, but the fish you catch will be recorded for the county you caught the fish in. (example: If you are from LA fishing in SD, the bat will count for SD).
-Start time for the event is very dependent on when you want to get out and fish. The opening gun will sound at 6:00am on the day of the tournament and will end at 11:59 that night. This is just the window of time that the tournament will count for any bat rays. This will allow people who work or have prior engagements to get out and participate in the event in a generous time window.
-Photos must be posted by no later than 11:59pm Saturday, April 10th. Any Photos posted later than that time will be disqualified from their entry. (So be VERY time conscience)
-This is a picture/honor system, please no fudging or cheating. A few times now, the winner won by a half an inch. This made for a great photo finish and great trash talking.
-Everyone is required to have a good time!

A clarification that came up during SNBFVIII and the most commonly asked questions are listed below.

No yakking baits out (or Drones)– This is a shoreline casting event.
The reason for this is to show off your casting skills and/or improve on them. SoCal Big Game shore fishing style.
• No fishing off Piers, Bridges, Docks, Bulkheads, Jetties. (Boat Ramps are OK as long as you are allowed to fish there and/or not impeding any boat traffic)
There are a few reasons for this, but the most important reasons are for YOUR Safety and the Bat Rays Safety. Fishing the rocks during the day or at night for Mud Marlin is not a safe bet for you or the fish. You can fish for them 364 days a year that way if you like, but on the Bat Fight, it’s all about safety and all of these structures have a high danger limit to them when dealing with big gear, rods and fish. It was never allowed in the past and will not be allowed in the future Bat Fights.
• Buddy System – For many reasons, it must be on a buddy system. There are going to be a bunch of satellite groups out there, but there must be two fishermen at every location. Unless you have 4 arms to hold the tape taut over the bats back and take a picture… you need two people. To keep ‘em honest and to add as another safety factor.

All of the rules are pretty straight forward and I will make them clearer in future events, but I wanted to clarify the ones that I am being asked the most… or at least being brought to my attention.
The summed-up History of the Bat Fight (work in progress and will continue to evolve into the full story):

http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »
The Facebook page for the Bat Fight...

https://www.facebook.com/events/1136484553463754

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:02:09 AM »
Rainshadow SWAG is in!  Cool stuff from their store, but unfortunately nothing in the XXXL sizes.  I have to go through everything and check all of the sizes, but good stuff and some great caps to boot!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
I'll be in Phoenix trying to get one at a local lake.

It may have boots and be wearing a bra, but a bat it will be.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 07:46:43 AM »
 Very cool, does he need donations for the swag ?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 08:14:51 AM »
Very cool, does he need donations for the swag ?

He would just like people to post on the Rainshadow FB and IG accounts with a picture of them in the gear while at something fishing related.  I told him we could do that.  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 08:16:08 AM »
I'll be in Phoenix trying to get one at a local lake.

It may have boots and be wearing a bra, but a bat it will be.

I suddenly went blind and didn't even see a picture!  LOL

I want to see you catfishing or something on the 10th!  At least be a part of it Koga!  ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »
I went down to the bay this morning just to get out of the house.  I brought a small rod to test my shoulder out, but it was pretty stiff towards the end of a short session.  One thing I noticed when I was down there was the amount of people!

So, Next week's Bat Fight is going to be a little tight down there.  The Strokers were out in squadrons and I probably saw 100 of them bastards skimming the shoreline.   Probably about the same amount of people on the shoreline at 8:00 am as I usually see in a normal summer day.  Bikers, runners, just about the entire county down there.

More or less just a heads up for next week as I don't see it getting any lighter.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 02:23:15 AM »
I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everyone.  Me and my father will be driving up to Sacramento Friday to see my kids and granddaughter, haven't seen them in a little over a year.  Tight lines............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect