Author Topic: Almost Forgot it's a B.O.A.T.  (Read 4069 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Almost Forgot it's a B.O.A.T.
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:05:59 PM »
Trying to not type too cranky here...

Went to Cachuma today, woke up at 0600, arrived around 0800. Ranger at the kiosk had me take the boat off the car and unravel it for the Quagga inspection. Then roll it back up, put it back on the car, drive a couple hundred yards to the washdown station. Take it off the car, unravel it, wash it, roll it back up, put it back on the car...take the outboard out of the car, flush the outboard with their hot water...outboard was being stubborn to start and stay on but we got it going just long enough to get the water to flush through the coolant system. Put it all back in the car and went another 100 yards to setup near the ramp but it was still gonna be a haul to dolly the boat by hand to the water. Did it, I'm young.

Super not stoked on that start, took like an hour longer than I wanted, and a gigantic pain in the @ss to deal with quagga inspection and their system with the inflatable setup. But I got the boat in the water, outboard didn't show the same fickled nature once in the water.

Rolled out to the shallow end of the lake, hoping for spawning bass with the full moon and the Spring and all. Didn't see any bass bedding, but they were boiling intermittently. Bounced between a dropshot worm and a spinnerbait til I got the skunk off in the sticks with a short green bass. Made me feel better.

Not long after, I noticed I had a pinhole air leak in my boat on the waterline. That's what I get for fishing the sticks I guess. Not a critical issue, it'll be just a dab of Gorilla glue at home but still not great to see.

Felt like the bass weren't really happening, but with a fish to my name I figured I'd make a run to the deeper, clearer end of the lake and try carolina rigged roboworms and maybe troll for trout while I eat a sandwich. I make the move and after about 2 miles, my motor stutters and dies. Woof. Yada yada yada stall-start-stall-start. After Plan B, C, and D went out the window I was headed for the ramp while the engine was working. Half a mile short of the ramp, it cuts out and won't start back up. So I rowed half a mile.

So I'm looking for a shop that'll give the ol boot scooter a good look-over. Definitely avoiding lakes with quagga inspections from here on out as long as I'm doing the inflatable thing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:30:14 PM by jrodda »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Almost Forgot it's a B.O.A.T.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
Jumping thru hoops keeps you young.  ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:46:21 AM »
Bummer dude, sounds like a pain in the a$$ for sure.  Hope you find someone to take care of the motor, good luck..........
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 04:14:28 PM »
 Nothing worse than motor issues >:( Hope you get it resolved. I just pulled my bay boat out and fired it up, I added Sea Foam to the gas tank since she has been sitting all winter, hopefully I have an uneventful day tomorrow  ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »
Nothing worse than motor issues >:( Hope you get it resolved. I just pulled my bay boat out and fired it up, I added Sea Foam to the gas tank since she has been sitting all winter, hopefully I have an uneventful day tomorrow  ;)

Took the motor over to somebody in Ventura. They seem like good guys, and they figured it's something to do with the carburetor. They asked me how old my fuel was, and it might be about a month since I topped it off my 3 gallon tank, so I cringed a little that I didn't add any stabilizer in that time. That's not thaaaat long though. And last time I fueled up I used higher octane to offset the fuel degradation a little bit. Regardless, I'll expect a call in the next day or so.

Good luck on your trip!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 05:26:46 AM »
Trying to not type too cranky here...

Not long after, I noticed I had a pinhole air leak in my boat on the waterline. That's what I get for fishing the sticks I guess.

I make the move and after about 2 miles, my motor stutters and dies. Woof. Yada yada yada stall-start-stall-start. After Plan B, C, and D went out the window I was headed for the ramp while the engine was working. Half a mile short of the ramp, it cuts out and won't start back up. So I rowed half a mile.

So I'm looking for a shop that'll give the ol boot scooter a good look-over. Definitely avoiding lakes with quagga inspections from here on out as long as I'm doing the inflatable thing.

Damn... I feel for you boss.  I've had more of those "BOAT" days than I care to share.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.