Author Topic: New PB Leo  (Read 2207 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
New PB Leo
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:46:47 PM »
Went out tonight fixin' to wet some wire leader for the first time in a couple months. Arrived to find some kelp in the wash but it turned out to be manageable. Hour and a half in, I brought in my mackerel to find only some skin. Threw another tail piece out, then saw the rod jump. Looked like a 7 bite. Grabbed the rod and waited a minute for it to come back, and it did. It started swimming away, I reeled tight, and it was a quick but bouncy fight in. Turned out to be a 53" male Leopard.

I wish I'd been able to get a portrait with it, but it was extremely uncooperative.

No more bites after that, but it turned out to be a night for a grunion run. Thought about using them for bait but decided to let them be, but I took some voyeur shots.

I've got a decent amount of ray and mack in my freezer that's getting old, so I'm just gonna have to get out some more and burn that off in the next month or two.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: New PB Leo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:03:55 AM »
Man, I miss getting out surf shark fishing...  Only about maybe 3-4 months away. 

I'd bring a smaller rod and pin a live grunion on and cast out.  Hali and WSB are a great possibility!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »
Leos are one of my favorite species, nice one Jeremy....
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Mr Bones

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
Congrats on the PB. I also noted the recent grunion runs. Water temps are on the rise as well. Hopefully 2021 will be a much better surf season.
One Day at a Time

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »
Went back tonight. Put in a couple hours tonight grabbing grunions and throwing them on a slider sinker rig, no bites. They sure do come in thick after a while!

Congrats on the PB. I also noted the recent grunion runs. Water temps are on the rise as well. Hopefully 2021 will be a much better surf season.

Just the fact alone that the beaches aren't on lockdown this spring is a huge improvement. I didn't even try to get out last year until at least June or July. Welcome to the board!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:01:38 AM »
Damn, that's a thick grunion run!  I'd keep some for the freezer for some future sessions.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 06:02:12 AM »

As Jeremy said, Welcome to the boards!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »
Leo's are so cool 8) Congrats  8) 8)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 08:50:23 AM »
Grunion are so lucky they get to hump on the beach and not get arrested.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)