Author Topic: Micro and More Micro (4/25)  (Read 1496 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Micro and More Micro (4/25)
« on: April 26, 2021, 06:25:47 AM »
I was a little foggy from the anniversary evening my wife and I enjoyed the night before, so decided to see if anything at the bay was chewing.  Word was pretty grim from some of the daily bay pounders, but it would get me moving.

Started out at the rocks with a high tide, but the water was ugly and there was floating grass everywhere.  Worked the rocks for an hour with a weedless swimbait for my only fish that somehow was big enough to move the point through the weedguard.  Damn thing managed to be only 2 inches bigger than my 3 inch swimbait.  (Spotty)
I had a bunch of needlefish hitting the swimmy, but the anti-needlefish guard worked perfectly.  the wind was pretty brutal from the NW so early in the morning then forced me to change up my plans.

I stopped for a Captain's Burrito at the Royal Rooster before moving on to do a little micro fishing. 

I was using a size 12 baitholder hook and a small piece of shrimp oil soaked squid.  I might as well been using a size 10/0 as I was getting bit like crazy, but couldn't stick the bastards.  I finally get some eel sort of thing with a knobby head, but it twisted and balled as I was trying to figure out what it was and fell back into the water right at the rocks.  I also had a Garibaldi on that fell off trying to lift it up and some brown thing that I never got a good look at as it was shaking side to side like a demon where it almost looked blurry before tossing the hook from it's lip...

I tried a few spots before I found the motherlode....

They were like yellow jackets at a picnic.

After a couple of dozen, I called it quits.  I'm going to have to start to upgrade the size of the fish that I've been catching if I want to get ready for Belize.  Time to start fish training!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Micro and More Micro (4/25)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
Very cool! I wonder what those mystery fish were. I’m due for another micro trip. Oxnard Harbor only seems to put out white croaker when I tie on a #10 hook though. Might have to head south to MDR next time.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:55:28 AM »
Glad you're getting out Tom, I really looking forward to your Belize trip   :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
Your PT is starting small and slowly working up to bigger and better fish ;D Glad you are getting out 8)