Author Topic: SD Bay 5/1  (Read 1626 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
SD Bay 5/1
« on: May 01, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »
Well since half the board was out there today, we can stack it all up right here.

Arrived at the ramp about 0630, launched about 0730. I got 2 dozen ghost shrimp to target bonefish over at Big Fish Tackle in Seal Beach, along with some lugworms in case the bait stealers were present.

First drift I got a 5 star skunkbuster:

First spotty in like 10 years for me, I don't fish harbors south of Malibu very often.

Next one was probably my best of the day:

It became immediately obvious that we might burn all the ghost shrimp on the spotties that were clearly everywhere, so we started bouncing around the back bay trying to isolate the intended target. Jared switched over to an underspin and started picking off spotties a lot quicker. I gave in to peer pressure and picked off a few before I decided we needed to burn off the rest of the ghost shrimp before the wind made the drift too quick.

Found a croaker.

Ended up getting the manic, drag scorching bite I was looking for around 1130 but it popped off after a few seconds..

By about 1300 we were through our shrimp and went to flukes and swimbaits for the steady pick on spotties.

Highlight of the day was the VHF lighting up out of the blue with "SS Ass Rack here, does anybody copy-" Took a minute to gather myself to respond. Nice meeting you at the ramp, Tim!

And just a real quick summation of my evening session from my trip down to SD- Thanks to intel from Steve and Michael I went after corvina last night and got 4 blowups on the spook in a 30 minute period, but couldn't connect. Got a YFC on the swimbait to break the skunk for that session. Got effectively teased by both corvina and bonefish! I'll be back down soon enough.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:21:51 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: SD Bay 5/1
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 09:00:38 PM »
Glad you got some shots at the vina. Even missed blow ups are fun.

Ghosties are great for bonefish, but they go quick. Everything eats them.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
Nice to meet you at the ramp as well, it was a good day to be on the water. You have a cool sled  8) The Ass Rack will be back ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:04:00 AM »
Steve and I motored around looking to see if we spotted you, but it was only a big green kayak.  It sounds like you had a few shots at some great target species.  Next trip for sure.  May-June the bonefish and corvina start to pick up with the warming water, back bay grunion runs, and smelt smolt. 

Glad you bumped into Tim and his boys back at the ramp!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »
Glad you're doing so much exploring and fishing my friend, looks like you had a good time
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect