Author Topic: Just Traded Rods...  (Read 3404 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Just Traded Rods...
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
Traded away an 8' Graphtech 15-30 that just felt too heavy to me. In return, I received my first Calstar, a 270h. Cut down to 7'6".

It's one of the lightest Calstars I've ever held, which was the selling point for me. I only started collecting glass rods in the last 9 months and only blanks that were built light.

Now I have 2 rods that cover the 25-30# live bait niche. Well...more like 5, but we're talking top of the depth chart here. I picked up a Shimano Teramar MH 15-40 8' about a month ago. Sweet, modern, thin, TC4 blank (composite blend I believe). Has a reel seat unlike the Calstar. Surprisingly similar in weight though. I think the softer tip on the 270h is gonna win me over when fly-lining sardines. The more I think about it, the more I think the Teramar isn't gonna beat the 270h for rail time, although it is a very cool rod.

Probably gonna put either an Avet MXJ on it or a Daiwa Sealine X20SHA, loaded with 40# braid. Though I'm currently winning 2 auctions on Torium 14s....I better lose at least one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:46:04 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Just Traded Rods...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 05:48:03 AM »
Those are some great rods you got there.  Couple one of them with a Torium 14 is going to be a sweet set up.

....I better lose at least one.

You'll probably win both now.  hahahaha
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07:05:21 AM »
Those are some great rods you got there.  Couple one of them with a Torium 14 is going to be a sweet set up.

....I better lose at least one.

You'll probably win both now.  hahahaha

Nobody sniped the first one, got it for $125. Still winning the 2nd with 12 hours to go...

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
Good trade. Of all the rods I've let go the one I miss the most was a glass 7ft 270.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »
Lost the 2nd Torium. It was sold at a low enough price that I still toyed with it, if just for the thrill...I'll try out the torium I did win on some rods and maybe I will want another once I can feel the balance of it.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »
Torium arrived today. Looks amazing on the Teramar.

It balances well enough on the Calstar, but aesthetically I think I'd wanna go with something primarily black, like the Sealine or an Avet MXJ/L. I'm gonna AB the rods after this wind is done blowing to see if it's worth buying another reel, or if I should get rid of one of the rods. Money money money money

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
270 was originally built by Sabre. The standard version is a great 15 to 20 pound bait rod. H version handles 20 to 25 wonderfully. You will fall in love with that rod. Go find an 865, next step up in bait rods.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)