Author Topic: Looking for blue water  (Read 4768 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Looking for blue water
« on: June 02, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
Launched out of oside with about 40lbs of chum and my heart set on at least seeing a mako. Cruised to cbad canyon and the water was dark green but 65-66 degrees so still promising. Headed out about 5 miles to find the blue water break and it just wasn’t in sight. Figured since we’ve raised them there in the past with dark water it might be worth a shot so I set the chum anyways and flylined some live macks.
Drifted almost 4 hourse before the chum was gone and I was about 2 miles off the beach then headed for the surf zone. Found bait real quick, pinned on a big mackerel and as I was letting it swim out in frees pool it took off at about 50mph.... put the reel in gear, came tight and a thresher put on an aerial show for me. Probably took 8 mins to get to the boat and I released her.

Video
https://youtu.be/3vpTbAroLhA
Keep it tight

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Looking for blue water
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:47:09 AM »
Congrats on the thresher catch!

Gaff and shark teeth that close to the inflatable hull. Eeee! Don't take it as criticism, I know you know what you're doing. I don't think I could do it though.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
Yea the flying gaff looks bad there but no matter how I twist it the point won’t come in contact with the hull and I have it secured.... I guess it’s good till it’s not right?  ;D
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 12:12:26 PM »
Yea the flying gaff looks bad there but no matter how I twist it the point won’t come in contact with the hull and I have it secured.... I guess it’s good till it’s not right?  ;D

Whew!  You are not kidding with that gaff point.  I'd opt for a vertical holder. hahaha

Great video!  You got a steel set of bowling balls fishing for Makos in an inflatable!  I applaud you as I always seem to catch makos that want to bite my boat.  Hopefully you get some video when you hook that mako.  They should be showing up here real soon if they are not already here. 

Nice Thresher!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:23:28 PM »

Whew!  You are not kidding with that gaff point.  I'd opt for a vertical holder. hahaha

Great video!  You got a steel set of bowling balls fishing for Makos in an inflatable!  I applaud you as I always seem to catch makos that want to bite my boat.  Hopefully you get some video when you hook that mako.  They should be showing up here real soon if they are not already here. 

Nice Thresher!

Yeah makos biting the boat is gonna be a no from me dog. I’ve heard that before so I’ll stick to threshers. I’m enjoying these shark reports thoroughly.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
Well the last one we got on the kayaks tried to eat both of them.... hence the flying gaff with float.

I also have a long dehooker that SHOULD work on smaller ones
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 03:48:23 PM »
I posted on BD if y’all are looking for some entertainment.  ;D  I’d give it a few hours
Keep it tight

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 07:06:02 PM »
I posted on BD if y’all are looking for some entertainment.  ;D  I’d give it a few hours

After the kayak mako thread I was hoping you would.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 07:17:44 PM »

Hahahaha, I forgot about that!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »

It’s actually not that bad. Not as bad as the kayak thread at least.

I’ve been watching vids of PVC vs hypalon tubes, mines PVC, but it seems like hypalon might be shark proof. There a video of a guy stabbing PVC then it bounces off the hypalon
Keep it tight