Author Topic: Garden Thread 2021  (Read 5237 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Garden Thread 2021
« on: June 02, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
So my chicken literally would roast in the summer heat out here and from all of the upgrades to the yard, we have no garden space.

I decided to try and kill two birds with one stone by fencing off a small area around the fence to grow some corn, tomatoes and spaghetti squash.  I actually still have peppers growing also, but hoped the chicken poop would help out the plants. 

I was quite shocked when they started sprouting.

Well, in no time, the corn is starting to grow as well as everything else.  the good part is the chicken hides under the big squash leaves and you can tell she likes it under there and doesn't mess with the plants.

I might have to expand it next year and take some more room away from SqueeGee... hahahaha
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Thread 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
Damn. That corn got into high gear since I saw it.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
When you started with the subject of your chickens and then moved to killing two birds with one stone, i thought the next sentence would be that you grabbed a stone and...

We’ve never had any luck with corn in our yard but our tomatoes are running wild right now.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »
Looks great, Tom. I got a late start this year, wasn't sure I was even going to have one, so I decided to plant on Memorial Day and 5 days later my corn had sprouted :o :o  As of today it's about 4'' tall 8)

My zucchini sprouted as well but something ate a few leaves so I dusted them with a repellent and I will be watching >:(

Peppers and tomatos seem to be fine so far :)

As I walked past my skiploader from the garden I noticed something was not right :o We have a comedian living here, Aaron put these on about a week ago and I just noticed, the rest of the clan was in on it too ;). Hopefully with another set of eyes close by my garden will do well again this year ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
Garden looks great.

Aaron is a funny guy.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
Garden looks great.

Aaron is a funny guy.

He just bought a new truck, how long will it take him to notice a Little Mermaid license plate holder ? ;D ;D ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 04:13:25 AM »
Garden looks great.

Aaron is a funny guy.

He just bought a new truck, how long will it take him to notice a Little Mermaid license plate holder ? ;D ;D ;D

:)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 07:18:21 AM »
 So my corn was doing great and when I came home from San Diego Bay it was not so great :o :'( A rabbit had chewed all the leaves off of almost every stalk >:( >:( Not sure if it will survive the damage so I watched it for a few days, looks like it is still growing but to be safe I planted another seed next to each one ;) I found where the Bastard was getting in and fixed the problem......Lets hope so :-\

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »
So my corn was doing great and when I came home from San Diego Bay it was not so great :o :'( A rabbit had chewed all the leaves off of almost every stalk >:( >:( Not sure if it will survive the damage so I watched it for a few days, looks like it is still growing but to be safe I planted another seed next to each one ;) I found where the Bastard was getting in and fixed the problem......Lets hope so :-\

I see on FB that you got those culprits!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
Well, corn, tomatoes, and squash is growing!  Perfect shade for our spoiled Squeegee! (Pet chicken)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
Squeegee has it made 8) 8)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 08:03:25 PM »
Squeegee would taste great with a chipotle lime marinade
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 05:07:24 AM »
I picked a few cobs, but apparently picked them too early.  Ate the two anyway and they were awesome for the first time ever growing corn in my life.  That and the shade makes Squeegee happy.  lol

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 06:04:49 AM »
I picked a few cobs, but apparently picked them too early.  Ate the two anyway and they were awesome for the first time ever growing corn in my life.  That and the shade makes Squeegee happy.  lol

When the silk is brown and brittle, time to pick ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
Corns been getting bigger and bigger.  I was just enjoying taking some action shots of it like I was from the Children of the Corn.

Finally picked 5 ears for the 4th of July.  Even though I've used the insecticide like Tim mentioned to me earlier in the growing process, I saw a lot of ants and possible aphids on some of the ears...  I was a little nervous that I would cut some ears and just have them filled with worms, or just be empty cobs.  Looking good so far...

I shucked them since I didn't want me wife shucking her corn to find it full of worms or whatever might be in there, but I was pleasantly surprised!  Perfect looking (and later on tasting) corn!

Total success!

I then had to pick some of my Spaghetti Squash since they were the size of pumpkins.... and literally bigger than my watermelon!

Well, the make-shift garden is working out pretty good for me.  Plenty of cherry and plum tomatoes also!

Well, back to the grind tomorrow....  Thanks for checking in!