Author Topic: SD by Land 6/24  (Read 1645 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
SD by Land 6/24
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »
My plans for Thursday collapsed on me, so I got going earlier for San Diego than I anticipated. Left my house at noon and figured I could get to Mission Bay in time for the 1520 low tide to pump some ghost shrimp.

Arrived about 1530 to Fiesta Island. Checked a few sections of shoreline but couldn't find any shrimp holes, so I googled any shrimp AOs and got a new location. Arrived there about 1600 and found what I was looking for. This was my first time pumping shrimp, so I wasn't sure how easy or difficult it would be. Well, first 10 minutes of trying, I was questioning everything I've ever known. Pumped about 20 holes before I finally scratched out a small ghostie. Then got a few more and moved down the shore a bit and found a little more successful area. I found plenty of holes but, for about an hour of trying, I only got a dozen shrimp. Only 2 or 3 were decent sized ones.

I left that area and went looking at one more park before I decided I needed to take a break and eat something.

I was trying to remember where Tom had mentioned getting a burrito before, but I didn't have very good cell service to check the board. So I went with the Royal Rooster based off reviews (and thinking maybe that was Tom's spot?) Got the California Burrito 10 minutes before they closed and it hit the spot. While waiting for my food, I went into Seaforth Landing and decided to go ahead and buy a dozen more live ghosties off of them to supplement my mediocre harvest.

After the burrito, I headed over to SD Bay to try my hand again at corvina. Arrived at about 1830 so I killed some time before nightfall by throwing a swimbait. Ended up getting 4 spotties in a 20 minute span before they cooled off.

Skunk saver:

Best of the evening:

Took a 20 minute breather at sunset, then switched rods to throw the spook for the rest of the evening. All quiet on that front. Packed it in at 2200 and checked into my hotel.

Trip continues in the boat reports...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:01:43 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: SD by Land 6/24
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »
Been some time since I pumped ghosties. They get hit hard.

I’ve spent a lot of time chasing vina. Not as much time catching them.

Maybe I can join you next time.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:27:47 AM »
Looking forward to your report, good luck
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 08:47:29 PM »
Can not go wrong at The Royal Rooster. Yeah the GS have been a challenge for a bit. That one with eggs is the healthiest one I've seen in awhile.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 06:50:22 AM »
The Royal Rooster is the bomb... even the sausage is made from scratch. 

I haven't pumped for shrimp in a while, but all the dredging a few years ago seems to have made them more scarce than usual.  The same thing with Corvina as they were super abundant back there and have been tougher to catch the last few years for whatever reason.

Great write up as usual.  I'll bump over to the boat report to see what happened.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Them spotties sure are fun to catch, I haven't targeted the corvinas yet, I think I hooked into one a few trips ago :)