Author Topic: Quick Morning Bay Session (7/3)  (Read 1543 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Quick Morning Bay Session (7/3)
« on: July 05, 2021, 05:41:48 PM »
It was Go Bigger or nothing.  Basically using a 1/2 oz weedless head with a 4" swimbait (instead of the 3/8 oz and 3").  I also had 12# line instead of my normal 8# just in case as I was hoping to get something bigger than I usually do.

The Bay was PACKED!  Not in the water, but every inch of shoreline was taken and things were about to get ugly.  I made some casts, but quickly started getting bites in the weediest of areas!  My only thing was I didn't cut down the weed guard, so the guard would also not allow a good hookset.  Also, I should have been using braid because on the hooksets, there was too much stretch in my line that I could feel.  Oh well, but I had well over 3 dozen fish on, or swung on, if not more. 
I had a few beauties that I somehow lost right at the rock edge before lifting them up the jetty.  Biggest were 14" models, but the good thing was this was the smallest one I caught.  I only was batting about 30% for the morning.

Most of the time, my baits were getting slammed and coming back like this....  I probably saw this around 2 dozen times in a few hours.

I finally had a good hit and thought I had a nice corvina... then I saw a 24" halibut swimming right at me with the hook just at the edge of the mouth.  I thought I could use it's momentum to bounce it up on the rocks, but it shook as it came out of the water, hit the mid-line rocks and literally bounced off 4 or 5 rocks before splashing back in the water.  Soo, bummed, but as I moved down a little to make some fresh casts, I stumbled on a bum taking a crap behind a bush and totally ruined the rest of my morning.

I just called it quits after 3 hours of fishing and was on the road by 8:30 as the bay started to come alive.

I hope everyone had a great 4th of july!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Morning Bay Session (7/3)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
Nice session! Farmed one butt, saw another!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 09:57:24 PM »
Early session, nice way to start the day 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 03:36:58 AM »
Nice session! Farmed one butt, saw another!

;D  ;D  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect