Author Topic: NVC 7/29  (Read 2350 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
NVC 7/29
« on: July 30, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
With our macs we'd painstakingly made over the week we had hopes for greylight thresher fishing. The guy at the bait barge was super cool and tried to give us more macs but there were only a few and very elusive, also provided some intel where they had seen threshers close to shore while out hauling the bait. He ended up giving us a scoop of anchovies for five dollars which I just gave him ten due to his great service. Got at the spot around 7AM and conditions were fantastic, very little salad, mellow surf and no wind. Buzzed a mac on float out to 350 meters and another one at 250, these baits would not get touched even after a 2 hour soak. On the flip side it was wide open on perch, all of them decent cookie cutter 10" models. Corbina were slamming the sand crab beds in skinny water as well, they seemed to be everywhere even bumping into our feet. Still didn't manage to get one lol. Kept 4 of the 20 or so perch we caught, Pat ended up sending one out on the float rig at 200 meters, earned it's freedom by not getting bit and being still fresh alive after spending over an hour on a float. We saw a momma harbor seal training her pup on hunting the fish in the surf so that was pretty cool.

At around 12 we decided the big stuff wasn't wanting to play here so we moved South, and as we did the wind really picked up. Weather said the wind where we were was a consistent 9 knots with gusts to 13 and the drone can handle that, but I wasn't feeling the risk was worth the reward judging by our morning session. Called it early and the remaining 3 perch were released. Gonna try for some Sevengills on Monday, hopefully I'll have a picture to post!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:55:53 AM by SevengillTheVC »

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: NVC 7/29
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »
Nice try and informative report. Sounds like you have a pretty effective live bait bucket setup to keep stuff alive for a couple hours. I’d like to get out after work for sharks but Amazon has been kicking my a$$ with long routes in 100° Tarzana this past week.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
Nice try and informative report. Sounds like you have a pretty effective live bait bucket setup to keep stuff alive for a couple hours. I’d like to get out after work for sharks but Amazon has been kicking my a$$ with long routes in 100° Tarzana this past week.

Keeps macs and perch alive for hours, chovies and dines not so much. Just got a bait cooler, and looking to jerryrig some kind of circulation pump in it to hopefully keep the smaller fin bait alive longer. Driving all around the valley without 100 degree heat is already bad enough, but it's a job, mine no longer exists. Perhaps it's for the best though as the commercial fishing industry left some pretty bitter tastes in my mouth, figuratively and literally.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
That's pretty awesome.  You'd definitely get some Threshers or even better down here with that set up.  My old ass might have to get a drone and start trying "Buzzing" out some live baits.

Which model drone do you have?  I'm seriously considering it.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »
It is a Swellpro 3+, waterproof, amphibious, self flipping if it goes upside down in the water, 2.2lb payload capacity(it can lift more as when I lifted the perch it caught on the giant airstone and lifted the stone, pump, and bucket lid with the 8oz and perch). 1600$ dollars, but cheaper than a boat so it works for me lol. They just made a new model that has a 5 lb payload capacity and a few QoL improvements over the 3+. You do have to register it with the FAA and what not but it's a lot easier than dealing with the DMV, only downside I could think of in the SD area is there is a whole lot of no fly zones. Here's the manufacturer website.
https://store.swellpro.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxo6IBhBKEiwAXSYBs6rj313oEqrPDcM9RyvYLmkvln0YgjwOj6gVyrwCekkgHSf26wATzBoC8VUQAvD_BwE#
Comes with 2 batteries, single axis 4k camera and payload release, and a case. Here's mine
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:07:35 PM by SevengillTheVC »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 04:01:45 PM »
That’s a good looking drone.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »
That's a good looking drone!  As a boat owner, I need every thousand that I get to fix them all the time.  Maybe a drone isn't in my future.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 09:34:18 PM »
Fair enough haha. Boat is still superior!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 07:07:49 AM »
That drone is cool 8)