Author Topic: Bug up my Butt  (Read 2748 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Bug up my Butt
« on: August 17, 2021, 12:45:14 PM »
I'm trying to get to things that I couldn't get to since my shoulder was too weak the past year.  I figured it was a good way to start to strengthen my shoulder, and hopefully not ruin it.

First thing was I was tired of the rain running off the roof onto my head when I went to put the garbage out.  We had a couple of monsoon dumpings the past few weeks, so I installed a gutter to keep the waterfall from pouring on me evrytime I opened the garage door.

Problem 2 was the cement was slowly lifting on the sidewalk always making the water pour towards the house.  Everyone had such a back log and charging a ridiculous amount of money, I decided to do it myself.

The raised cement would only allow my door to open up part way and it f@cked up the bottom from the scraping every time it was opened.  I decided to buy a demolition hammer (really cheap on eBay) since it would cost me the same as a one day rental at a rental place.

It did the trick, but I was trying to protect my shoulder as much as possible.  The cement was thick, but at least there was no rebar in it.  Friggand huge roots were the problem...

Do I cut them out or just make a DG walkway on the side?  I like the tree it's coming from, but I'm not an arborist and not sure how many roots you can cut before you damage the tree.

Anywho...  It was a lot of work to get to this point, but I still had a new faucet to install, fix the water softener, weed whack, mow, weed, trim trees, and 4 other things I'm forgetting at the moment, so it was one busy ass weekend.  Goal is to get it done now, so when the fall hits, it's time to fish!

Well, I still have to install an attic ladder, clean up the attic, install an attic fan, re-insulate, set up electric in the attic and a few other things that I'll do when things cool off.  Ugh...  I need to go fishing....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Bug up my Butt
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:44:46 PM »
If you cut those roots it’s not going to be good for the trees health or stability. If you do DG get it with stabilizer included. Make sure it’s moist not wet and run a vibra plate over it to compact.

That concrete isn’t too thick. Those big chunks will definitely exercise your shoulder.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 02:54:21 AM »
Those big chunks will definitely exercise your shoulder.

That was my first thought when I saw them, DG would probably be the way to go.  You sound like a busy beaver.............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »
 You have been busy ! If you run out of things to do I have 4 cords of wood to split and stack ;D Glad you are able to catch up on your chores finally but the jackhammer had to be rough on the shoulder  :o  Hopefully you will be primed and ready for for the Fall season after all the exercise ;)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
one root won't matter, but you need to get better watering at the base of the tree or roots will grow back.

you need to add a new garage side door to the list.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:37:54 PM »
you need to add a new garage side door to the list.
That apparently was one of the things I said I couldn't remember in my initial post. Ugh ....

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
gettin' old is a bitch
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 07:32:37 AM »
Wow, good way to put your shoulder to the test!  :o

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 05:43:21 AM »
Little steps.  My shoulder is not healed up enough to just power through it all, so I've been working bits at a time.  I broke up so much concrete that I had nowhere to put it.  I called around and there was some guys ready to haul it away for $300 a dump run and I would have had at least 2 runs if not more.  An old neighbor inquired to me about wanting all the broken concrete I could give him, but since he's 84, I was going to do the delivering.  That's a lot of concrete I hand trucked down to his place so far and I'm just trying to manage my shoulder so as not to have any set backs (It's feeling much better though)
Anyway, still a ways to go, but making progress.