Author Topic: Mini Grinner Gathering (10/7)  (Read 2257 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mini Grinner Gathering (10/7)
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »
Squatch and I went down on a Thursday night since he was unavailable on Tues.  I pulled up and Squatch was already there.  Soon as I started getting ready, another truck pulled up and started pulling out long rods.  I texted Steve and then another truck pulled up with long rods... WTF???  then I saw one vehicle was Andre and the other person was Josh.  I forgot, it's Thursday and the T.N.G.C.

Incoming tide, Waxing Crescent Moon, Small Surf...

Lot's of bait Stealers and lots of catching up.  I walked over and started catching up with Mike.  This year has been tough, as far as grinners have been going, for a lot of guys and Mike was way overdue.  As I was catching up with him, his rod started singing!  Definitely the right kind.  Josh noticed my headlamp shining at the water and came running over to be the sand hand.

Roughly 70 inch Female Soupie.  Hooked her perfectly in the side of the lip.  I took some pics on Mike's phone, but didn't have my phone on me so hopefully he posts a pic.

That was it.  Every bait was getting mauled by lobster and other bait stealers.  Actually Squatch caught a fish which put him in the negatives.  We haven't seen a -1 Thornback in about 5 years... until now.  hahaha

That was it.  We fished until 11:00 and called it quits.  At least one guy in the group reeled in a good one!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:16:24 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Grinner Gathering (10/7)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
It was fun to get out. Minus one was a surprise.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 01:34:17 PM »
Stoked for Mike............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
The -1 . Hahaha!!

Like Tom said, I was the lucky one that night. Great fight after going so long with nada. I'm glad it ripped drag right away versus the pick up the bait, swim towards shore and see my line go slack. There's nothing like a screaming drag to get the blood flowing. Tom takes good pics and Josh is an excellent sand hand. That's the way it should be every time  ;)

Went to the pier Saturday morning to make more bait and one of the pier rats hooked a BIG soup on a mackerel head. He ended up losing him in the pilings. Picture doesn't give any scale on the size of it, but it looked to be well over 75" and super thick.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
Great seeing everyone again.  Hopefully the sharks come at us full tilt the remainder of this year!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WasWheresMyBeer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 10:54:25 PM »
Nice grab Mike - Congrats on the jaws pic!