Author Topic: UFO 10/28  (Read 3182 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
UFO 10/28
« on: October 28, 2021, 01:30:12 AM »
My trips while I've lived in Harbor City thus far can be told, without any parsing of words, as follows:

Alamitos - skunked.
Alamitos again - skunked harder.
RAT Beach - 1 cast, biiiiig clump of shredded kelp. Yah no way. That storm turned the PV kelp into a fine hellish mulch. Too bad cuz there were some nice holes.
Belmont - skunked.
Scouting PV for fishable areas - did not find any reasonable spots, and thus, skunked.

::) Something's gotta give, right?

Went with Jared and his pal shark fishing tonight in the HB area. Different county different juju, I hoped. Gave them something of a seminar on rigging and strategy. I supplied Jared with my 11' Okuma spinning setup and I threw my 12' carnage with the Avet. Fished an approaching low tide at 2230, session went from about 2030-2345. 1-3ft on the outside, lots of shallow water and not much structure in the sand. Used squid for bait.

His buddy Kyle got a thornback early on, nice to finally see some life and a new species for him but I did explain now that he's caught one, it should be his goal to never catch one again.

About 2200 I was telling a story about UFOs and wouldn't you know it, tell tale knockdown of one. And by knock down I mean they stopped my story as I watched my rod fall to the ground and begin to drag away. Got about 15' before I slid and grabbed it. 10 minute fight, mostly dogged me. Drag seemed looser than usual up to Strike so I played it on Max drag. Was in a borderline sitting position for most of the fight.

I was able to impress them with the biggest bat they'd ever seen in person at 48".

I was spent after that, but happy to hang out til almost midnight. I was pretty impressed with catching a bat during a UFO story, so when we started talking about ghost stories I was hoping somebody would get a bite. Kyle hooked up to something small/medium and farmed it. Too bad, definitely a white seabass. Good time was had. I'll be coaching Jared on buying a shark rod in the near future.

On a slightly different note, PV is way tougher to fish from shore than I thought it'd be. So much private entry, cliffs, MPAs, heavy heavy kelp...I've yet to find a reasonable place to fish there, for free anyway.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: UFO 10/28
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:24:25 AM »
Good to see your name on a report Jeremy, my back hurts just looking at that thing   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:00:40 AM »
His buddy Kyle got a thornback early on, nice to finally see some life and a new species for him but I did explain now that he's caught one, it should be his goal to never catch one again.

Good point.  Kyle doesn't realize he was -1 fish for the evening, but glad he got one to add to his species count.  hahaha

Nice bat Jeremy.  Bummer on all those skunks, but I have no doubt you'll dial it all in and be catching in no time.  We'll probably have another Grinner Gathering down here in November if you're up for the trip down to fish sharks in the surf with us.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 06:30:14 AM »
We have Sasquatch and you have UFO'S, SoCal is great ;D

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
Got bit right on cue. That'll get em hooked.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
Get down to Santa Ana River Jetties, fish the HB or north side. Lots of structure. Hold on tight.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
We'll probably have another Grinner Gathering down here in November if you're up for the trip down to fish sharks in the surf with us.

I’m down!

Koga Im hungry for structure so I’ll check that out. I think the fishing closure from the oil spill starts on the south side of the Santa Ana jetty, so hopefully I won’t have to be washing off sharks with Dawn soap.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:38:18 PM by jrodda »