Author Topic: December lemons  (Read 2359 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
December lemons
« on: December 17, 2021, 11:05:58 AM »
Plink! Yesterday was my last day of work for 2021, so to celebrate Ally, my friend Marc, and I got out for some after dark shark fishing. The surf was 4 1/2 ft, but it actually wasn't that bad when we showed up. We couldn't cast past the breakers because they started so far out, but the bottom dropped off pretty quickly so we were still hitting water deep enough for sharks.

Ally and I baited up with ladyfish that she had caught a few months ago. I was using the head, and she was using a middle section. I had the first run. I let the drag sing for a bit, and then tightened the drag and pulled on something heavy for about 30 seconds before it came off. Ally hooked up a short while later and pulled in a lemon shark probably a little over a hundred pounds. We didn't get any good photos of it with its gills fully submerged (per the FL regulations), so you'll just have to imagine that it was a nice one.

I switched to some store-bought skipjack (thanks Marc!), and I hooked up again. This time I waited at least a full 60 seconds with the loose drag screaming before I tightened it down. That helped with hooking up, because this time the hook stuck and I was able to battle the fish at the other end of the line.

A short while later we were able to grab the tail of a proper sized lemon! This is far from a good pic, but it follows the FWC regs that the gills have to be submerged. It's unfortunate that the regs are worded the way they are, because trying to unhook (or even cut the leader close to the hook, which we don't want to do) a green shark in the crashing surf is asking for injury.

Just like Ally's we had mine swimming off healthy without delay.

Marc moved over to take the spot where Ally had been fishing, because both of our bites came from that spot. Sure enough he got the next bite, and it was another strong fish.

All three of our sharks were hooked really well in the corner of the jaw. I crimp down the barb on my hooks so release was quick and easy.

There's still a big bull shark out there with my name on it. We'll keep trying! ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: December lemons
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »
Very nice.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 04:51:44 PM »
Simply outstanding Ben, one a piece........................awesome
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
Well done Ben! And very good of you having all the new rules in place.
Those are some pretty nice lemons! I saw that thick head but failed to see the second big dorsal. I thought you had your bull finally. Lol

I'm in Fort Meyers the next 4 days. No fishing for me this trip, but I might do a quick fossil hunt.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
Sick fish! You're right about those regulations adding a splash of danger to the process, no pun intended.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 09:37:08 PM »
Looks like a fun evening, hope the bull shark is in your near future 8) 8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks guys. And welcome to Florida Tom!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »
So bad ass Ben!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)