Author Topic: Cinco de Bluefin (5/5)  (Read 2097 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Cinco de Bluefin (5/5)
« on: May 06, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »
My grandmother passed earlier this week and it was a sad moment for our family.  Her and my grandfather were the reason I actually got educated in the great outdoors and not just the concrete jungle of the Bronx.  My boss let me use some bereavement leave which was what my mind needed at that point.

When my grandfather passed away, I took a fishing trip with my mom and dedicated it to my grandfather.  Mom and I had a blast fishing and catching up when I caught a 28# halibut and Mom was almost more stoked than I was!  So, My grandfather trip, was a good one and for the record books.

I got a call from my buddy to jump on his CC while mine is getting upgrades to look for BFT.  I already knew my schedule to talk with the family and had some time to get out fishing so I jumped at the opportunity. 

Conditions were supposed to be nice all day, but you know how that goes.  Good thing, the morning was a nice run to the 425 while everyone else was running to the 371 or upper Hidden.  We metered a bunch of bait and saw some big tuna crashing bait (for about 5 seconds), but otherwise it was dropping squid, big dines, knife Jigs, Butterfly Jigs, fly lining, surface poppers... everything we could think of.

Water was crystal clear and 64.  Lots of bait and Pyrosomes everywhere!  We finally decided to troll and try to either find a paddy, crashing fish, or get in a a jig strike.  Problem was my buddy forgot his gaffs, but only had a small 2' short stubby gaff as a backup on board.  If we caught anything big, it was going to be a mess!

We rolled out a daisy chain cedar plug, a Spreader bar, and a Nomad flying fish.  It was a beautiful spread, but everything was geared towards bigger BFT.

We saw a bunch of dinner plate kelps, but that was as big as we got.  We got out of any zone with birds or bait and I was thinking this day was going to be a flop.  i cracked a beer, poured some to the fish gods and gave a "Cheers" to grandma for good luck...  Literally 5 minutes afterwards and a scream exploded next to my head as i turned to see line dumping off the reel at an insane clip!

It took me a second to grab the rod since I was almost in shock and looked to see if I saw a mako jumping on the end of my line... No Mako...

I started grinding as over 3/4 of the spool was dumped and still losing line.  My experience fighting the big Dolphin a few years ago kicked in and It was basically what seemed as an ungodly amount of time to get all of the line back...

We had great boat control and finally got up to leader.  I was like ... OMG..... My forearms were basically seized and my buddy was hanging over the gunnel with that shorty little gaff setting up to sink him.  I was grabbing the bar and hand lining the last 10 feet when he sunk it right in the heart and I dropped everything to help pull it over the gunnel!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He was ready to sink the brain spike in it's head when I yelled, I want a fresh picture!  I couldn't even pick it up so drug it up onto my lap as that's all I had the strength for.

Money Shot

Formula was 122#, but we initially thought 110-115, so were right at the same area we were guessing.  It got gilled, gutted, and sunk into a brine slush for a perfect preservation. 

Bloodbath

We were ready for another, but he decided to keep on the same line we were heading rather than re-running a short box out of the area for some reason.  Maybe to catch our breath and gain some strength back.

Unfortunately, we didn't get another and all of a sudden, the winds and waves picked up and kicked the sh!t out of us!  It was a long ass trip back to the barn...

It was a lot of cleaning when we got back from the fish to the boat.

Next morning, I took care of a bunch of zoom calls since my family is 3 hours ahead and then proceeded to touch up my half of the fish.

Loin Cuts

Belly Meat

And finally the collars.

Dinner tonight was awesome... and will be awesome for the next week to come as well!

Thanks for reading and Grandma with a 120# tuna beats my Grandfather's 28# halibut.... or does it?  Maybe I'll have to do a poll.  LOL

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Cinco de Bluefin (5/5)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:40:51 PM »
 Wow, nice catch 8) Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, I am sure she is proud of you and that fish !!  Your buddy's boat got dyed blood red :o Rest them Popeye arms, they will be sore ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 03:02:38 AM »
I don't have the words Tom.........................
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 09:06:52 AM »
I'm actually still on a high over that fish. Only thing is my old body is hurting bad. lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 10:19:50 AM »
Damn, sweet fish Tom, you earned it.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 06:07:26 PM »
Your Grandma and Grandpa were pulling for the 120 lb Tuna, no doubt.

No surprise there...

-Keith

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »
That is an amazing tale Tom!  Congrats on that beautiful bluefin! 
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma :-[  I recently lost mine as well, and I miss her a lot!
The memories of her will last forever though!

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 06:51:37 AM »
Sorry about your grandma, Tom!

That's a fish for sure. Nice work.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 10:38:53 AM »
Grandmothers always come through when you need it!!!

Very sorry to hear the bad news, Grandmas are special people.

Great to see you had two successful Grandparent trips with memories.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:35:17 PM »
Amazing way to remember grandma!!! Nice job on meat too.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)