Author Topic: A Story of the Cow and the Island (6/12)  (Read 2184 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Story of the Cow and the Island (6/12)
« on: June 13, 2022, 06:26:15 AM »
Got the call to BFT fish on Sunday and not ideal because of work on Monday Morning, but the moon and tides looked just right for a cow.  My buddy had 3 of us ready to go as I met him at his house and his buddy was "supposed" to meet him at the ramp.  His buddy wasn't there and we left.  We didn't plan and prep just to wait...

Man, it was weird... Not a single sole at the ramp... like no one.  I was thinking "Is something going on I should be worried about?"  In any case, there was no wait at the ramp.

We only picked up a half a scoop as we barely use what we got and were planning on just fishing for giants.

We decided to save gas and stay close rather than run all the way down to the Hidden and the Knuckle.  We knew there were fish there a day or two earlier, so we did a lot of metering.  We found some definitive meter marks and deep dropped a live dine down.  My buddy dropped first and was hammered on the way down, but it never stuck.  We were fishing the "Drop-Shot" deep drops.  Then as my 16oz sinker was going down, all of a sudden, there was no weight????  I'm like did I lose my sinker?  Then a quick BAM and gone.  I think a damn BFT grabbed it so I didn't feel the pound of lead! 

We trolled, drifted, deep dropped baits and irons on marks for nothing.  It sounded like the fleet down south also were having a tough go at it.  We barely saw a boat, except for a Trophy that literally trolled right up on as as we were drifting in stealth mode with the motor off.  I'll never understand this, but they were in a Trophy, so that says about all I need to know.

We stopped on some great paddies also.... Big paddy's with birds sitting on them.... all with no one home...

Water was CLEAN and between 64.5-67 degrees at any given spot.  We were having no luck getting any of these fish to turn on so made a move to plan B.  We did see 2 sets of puddlers all day, but most were hiding down 100-150 feet deep.

We get to Plan B and I had little faith on this area since we were only in 600 feet of water next to the islands...  Then I saw some dolphin jumping.... Then I realized they weren't dolphin and it turned into 100 square yard area of foaming 150-200 pound fish!  My buddy quickly turned and headed in the direction, but we kept it in gear as the "Clunk" is what usually scares the fish so we were basically power idling at them.  He casts and gets hooked up, but loses it right away.  The fish were moving at breakneck speed, so we gave the boat gas to see if the spreaders would pop back up and get slammed.

All of a sudden the fish sunk out before the boat and immediately popped  back up behind us.  I was in amazement and saw a giant tuna come clear out of the water, but something was in its face.  By the time my brain was trying to register what I was seeing, my Penn started SCREAMING!  That was my Spreader!!!!!

The other spreader didn't get bit and we started to set up for the long fight.  I told my buddy that the only thing I caught on this reel before was a 7' Dolphin with Chad and needed to get a fish on it, so I hoped he didn't mind I hogged this fish for myself.  He was more than obliging. 

Not sure how long the fight was, but we knew it was a monster.  I kept tightening up the drag since I could barely gain ground and it was pretty nerve wracking hoping all of my knots were good.  I probably had 38-40# of drag going the entire time.

We finally after 90-120 minutes get it boat side and it wasn't happy!  My buddy GoPro'd the entire fight and when he sunk the gaff in it's head, it swung it's tail out of the water and smashed his head throwing the spreader over my roller guide and popping the gaff!  HOLY f@ck was it pissed!.  I can't believe it didn't break the line or my rod as the 100# was wrapped around my pinky when it took off and almost cut that digit off.  My buddy's hat, Go Pro, and gaff went out to sea and we were only able to manage to get the gaff and hat back.  The Go Pro sunk out into the abyss.

I finally got it back to gaff and when he stuck it again, it freaked again!  I sunk a second gaff into its head and it made it even MADDER! We both pulled with whatever energy and adrenaline we had left to get it over the rail and into the pail!  HOLY sh!tSKY!!!!!  The fugger was so heavy, we couldn't even barely get it upright for a picture.  With a small rolling boat, it made it even harder to get a good picture as well as it took up the entire c*ckpit of the 24 CC.

Money Shot

69" fork length.  49" girth...  Wow....

The heart was as big as a human heart... insane fish!

We trolled for a second one as we spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it in the giant kill bag and packing it with ice.  We literally had no room for anything else on the deck, although Shaun would say we had room for one more cow!  LOL

We trolled to the North Island and then packed up and ran for the barn.

It literally took 20 minutes to get the fish out of the bag and off the boat.  Being on the trailer, it was a long way down to the table and I can't believe how heavy and hard to get a good hold of it was.  It filled out the 5' Stainless Steel table!!!

Anyway, what a great day on the water.  Trying to work right now is pretty tough, but I'll power through it.  I can't believe I knocked off a bucket list fish.  I thought I would have to spend $8K to $12K on a long range trip to ever get a shot at a cow, but now I did and didn't have to go much further than the Islands to do it.  CHEERS!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:28:48 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: A Story of the Cow and the Island (6/12)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »
Super stoked for you brother, can't wait for the full story   :)

(EDIT)

The story was worth wating for Tom, reading it had me on the edge of my seat.  Once again my brother................CONGRATS!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:02:51 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:54:34 AM »
So I take it your shoulder is back to 100%!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
So I take it your shoulder is back to 100%!

It was, but probably not anymore.... LOL

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 09:45:00 AM »
nice job old man!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 09:48:14 AM »
Wow, congrats on the cow.

You’re right about the cow fishing in our back yards. Nice to not have to dedicate 3 weeks to hit Clarion for a sniff at some big sickles. Though the bluefin’s temperament might still have you paying 8-12k over the course of multiple trips before you get one on deck. You’ve been on fire with it though.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »
Congrats man.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 07:50:37 PM »
Great shot, congrats!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »
Thanks guy.

Oh, If my pinky had the braid wrapped on it and not the 100# mono... well, I wouldn't have a finger right about now.  Ouch!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 08:14:41 PM »
Damn. Almost as bad as the tiger.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 08:19:01 PM »
 Great report and awesome catch, only you could have such a cool adventure with the scars to show for it ;) I can't imagine that beast on your boat thrashing around :o  Congrats again !!  8) 8)