Author Topic: An after work Bay soak  (Read 6053 times)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
An after work Bay soak
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
    Hit up mission bay to some sweet conditions and plenty of beer...Met up with Dave and Paul. 2 very cool dudes I'll probably be running into again.
     As I got there they were getting distant small bites and occasional runs while I was setting up. Eventually the right kind sticks...and pops off, followed by a sh!t shark. By this time, I'm set up, and get a baby bat, while Dave and Paul are getting runs here and there. Eventually 9:30 rolls by and they got to go, here noticing the trend that sd guys normally max early lol. So I stick around till 10:30 and finally get a 40" something bat to conclude my night. Mission bay is beautiful

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: An after work Bay soak
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Eventually 9:30 rolls by and they got to go, here noticing the trend that sd guys normally max early lol.

That's what happens when you get older...  lol 

Congrats Ray.  Did you toss around the small rod for bass or vina?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
Well known fact SD guys finish to soon😀
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:05:39 AM »
Nice job Ray

Sounds like you've already met the whole SD crew 8) you are missed in LA though..

I remember fishing till 3am and even doing all nighters on the water. Now once it's 9 or 10 I'm ready to go home. I'll still stay out late though if it's worth it..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:07:30 AM by Eric H »

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Never tossed the light rod...I was content sipping on tecate/sapharo and watching the little party animals behind me having a bonfire and trying to off-road in a jeep... maybe hoping the ladies would be polite and give a quick flash...hey I'm not asking much...but there were a few subtle boils in front of me. This is definitely a sweet bay to work with and I'm really excited at the potential. But I do miss the friends I've acquired in LA, I definitely need to set something up and reminisce while soaking a line

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
Nice job being adaptable Ray! And nice ray Ray!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
Guess it was your night this time, Ray.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:08 AM »
Guess it was your night this time, Ray.

I'm waiting to hear back from Dave.  Apparently he lost a few and got some, but Paul had his reel break on him from one he lost.  Waiting for the Beer and Rammer to chime in.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »
Yeah word on the street is they got/lost a few when I was on the freeway...and idk about a broken reel...but I do remember a faulty rod holder lol

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Right on Ray - great to finally meet you in person.  8) 8)

Have to say I really appreciate your explanation and test drive, of having the reel clutched in the lower hand on cast. It was a trip at first, but really not that hard to get used to. Always enjoy learning new techniques and variations. I've seen it done in video clips but never had the chance to try for myself. Now I'm only left with question marks on how to dial in this new 12' rod.  :-[

Sundown was a kick ass bite ... but missed way way way too many. Not more than 5 minutes after setting up, both rods go on a double. I land a 45" (give or take) and Paul's on a friggen freight train that won't quit. The only visual I can give is while he was holding the Jig Stick vertical, 3/4 of it was horizontal ... lol ... Legit fish. Never did stop the initial run until it snapped the line. The spool seized up on him.

Over the next hour had 7 or 8 good rips (missed) and a few small rays / sh!t shark. I lost a toad bat next to shore (snapped line) and caught easily my smallest bat ever.

Ray shows up just in time to watch me lose yet another NICE fish to line fail (ugh that was 2).

Gorgeous night on that Bay. Stoked you got some runners too RAY. We'll see you out there again soon!

8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh yeah ... Rammer dumped his Torium in the sand 4X that night ... LOL ... sucks. Sent him the Alan Tani tutorial ... LOL ...

:o ;) ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:03:06 PM by WheresMyBeer »

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 01:25:48 PM »
Awesome to meet you guys and anytime you wanna meet up for a soak hmu dudes...hopefully next time we wont lose to many bats, or gear lol

I'm also glad you were diggin the casting techniques, always cool to have that option. It can make things way easier...it's just the commitment to hackin your rod handle apart tho lol

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »
Damn. Sounds like an epic night. Still thinking about that whole low reel thing.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Damn. Sounds like an epic night. Still thinking about that whole low reel thing.
You have the sliding reel seats man...a bat would be a perfect test

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 06:19:46 PM »
Very nice! Way to make it work. Gonna hit the bay tomorrow, this full blood moon is getting me thinking big fish.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »
Nice 1st MB bat B)