Author Topic: From Bluefin to Bass (7/30)  (Read 12434 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
From Bluefin to Bass (7/30)
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
Well, it has been a really rough week for me.  I took the entire fuel tank apart and cleaned everything and tried to make sure I had my bogging issues fixed.  Squatch texted me and I said pack light.  I was planning on making a quick run out to look for paddies, tuna or dorado and back before dark.  I packed only big gear while Steve packed an assortment.

We head out to the kelp to make bait when the motor bogged down.  Usually it bogs down late in the day but now it did it in the beginning.  UGH!!!!

Well, this changed our game plan, so we dropped down for a dozen assorted rockfish before starting to troll for a "Hail Mary" yellow.  Along the way, I came across a really active area...

I picked up a huge mack while scouting what the mess on the screen was and Steve was throwing the plastic.  Steve then had a few big hits and we saw 3 nice Calicos coming up with one hooked!  Steve got a nice legal we released.

I grabbed the jig stick Skrilla made for me and put on a big swimbait.  The rod was quite big and I wish I had a bass rod on me, but it was still fun tossing plastic with it.  I caught a couple of legal bass that I harvested.

They were crushing the plastic!  We only hooked a small percentage of the hits we got and they trashed our plastics.

Steve got into a lull, but still got stuff done.  This Brownie is actually 10 lbs, but the Sasquatch's enormous size dwarfs the fish....  ;D

I end the session with a nice pig for a CPR.

Well, it was time to get to the ramp.  How disappointing that the boat is still acting up, so I will be replacing the coils next this weekend when I could find some time.  But, it was still a successful trip considering even though we were targeting Bluefin and ended up getting Bass.

Squatch... The last 6 trips out I've noticed a pattern.   :o ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: From Bluefin to Bass (7/30)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »
Nice bass attack 8) bummer on the motor issues ???

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:40:55 AM »
I've noticed a pattern too. You catch more fish. Used to it. I think I still had a better trip overall.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »
I've noticed a pattern too. You catch more fish. Used to it. I think I still had a better trip overall.

Not was I was thinking.  The last 3 trips with you, the boat crapped out early.  3 trips by myself, got through a majority of the day. lol

Well, I at least know it has also to do something with how much harder the motor has to run which causes the issue.  Hopefully the coils do something, but this is so frustrating.
Great fishing with you Steve as always.  Just razzing you.   8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
Sure looks like fun!  (wish I had a boat!)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
All that extra weight towin squatchs big ass around is tearin the boma up... sounds like u need a lighter weight deckie... nice bassin for plan B... hopefully you get the boma runnin like a top soon, and it doesn't dip into the wifeys pocket too bad B)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »

Not was I was thinking.  The last 3 trips with you, the boat crapped out early.  3 trips by myself, got through a majority of the day. lol

Well, I at least know it has also to do something with how much harder the motor has to run which causes the issue.  Hopefully the coils do something, but this is so frustrating.
Great fishing with you Steve as always.  Just razzing you.   8)

I have noticed the same thing to be honest. Not risking any future boat rides by bringing it up though. That's why I said saving 2#s by not bringing my trolling rod was funny. Doesn't really balance out the extra weight from me being on board.

Razz away. Used to it.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
If you need to test the weight hypothesis i weight 1/2 as much a Steve. Just saying ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
Dry streaks don't help Binh ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »
Dry streaks don't help Binh ;)
I'm betting on laws of averages right about now! Lol