Author Topic: I wanna try (09-03)  (Read 4183 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
I wanna try (09-03)
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
So my young team has been curious for a while about my late night fishing excursions and coming to work exhausted the next day. Is it really worth the trouble? What's the big deal? Well... Let me show you and you be the judge!

We had this planned several times, but the tide wasn't always right or they had plans. Everything came together last night.

We hit the bay for a more promising night than dealing with the surf and kelp. I brought 2 bags of primo bonito chunks, some fire wood, 3 long rods, and my buddy brought 2 small rods, shrimp and some Shock Tops  :)

I casted out our first offerings at 9pm. The long rods sat long enough for them to ask if this is how it always is. Lol! The small rods kept their interest though, as shrimp gets bit even at low tide. A couple round rays, a baby bat, a horn shark, and some sub-legal spotties hit the beach. An hour passes, time to check the big baits. Nada. Had to remind the group that fist sized baits are for a specific quarry and that once the tide starts to move, it'll be game on. 2nd bait check commences 30mins later and a chunky spotty somehow wolfs down a bonito head  :o Nada on the other 2 rods. More baits sent out.

More wood goes into the pit and work stories are shared as everyone there, but me and my buddy Oscar were just laid off Monday  :'( Good bunch of kids too. Then everyone stops laughing when they hear a couple short runs of the clicker. Then the vintage run of a big bat gets everyone running to the rods! I grabbed the 12'er, put it in gear, turn off the clicker, hand it off to closest the person... Karla. She gets worked and ran out of steam. Hand off! 20mins goes by and 3 more hand offs later a solid 43"+ hits the sand. High fives and "holy sh!ts" are exchanged. Quick pics and off it goes. No less than 20 seconds later, the 9' goes off! This one is all business!! Puts the 1st to shame. Poor Hieu has to run her little a$$ 20yds down the waters edge to keep! Several hand offs later and it goes to me as it hunkers down in the mud. 5mins goes by before I can get her lifted and turned. Jon is spent so Karla steps up to finish it off. Trooper! I guess its apropos since she's an Army reservist too.
Another 10mins of give and take and an easy 50" bat is in knee deep water and has also hunkered down. Karla is determined to lift and beach this big girl! Just as I'm about to wade in, the 60lb mono finally reached its limit and snaps. We all rush to the waters edge to watch her slowly swim away. A definite 50". What an awesome fight for 3 youngins who've never even touched a rod!

I call it after that as it is nearing midnight and 2 of us still had to work in the morning. Lots of fun for some great peeps! Karla wants to buy a yearly license now... Lol!!

Karla with the 43"+

Hieu with the 43"+

Jon with the 43"+

The misc...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:34:02 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna try (09-03)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »
First off, I'm sorry to hear about getting laid off from your job. Hopefully, the situation is temporary and you land an even better gig. (Your industry is always hiring) Second, I guess I've been replaced as your fishing partner huh? ;) Where was the call, I fish the bay too you know.;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »
Sorry Binh, but if I had a choice between you and Karla or Hieu to fish with, I wouldn't pick you.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »
Lol Binh! It was a trip i told them we'd do a while back. By the way, I wasn't laid off. Oscar and I were retained, but I lost 5 of my direct reports and they were 3 of them.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:59:49 AM »
Way to get em hooked.  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
Sorry Binh, but if I had a choice between you and Karla or Hieu to fish with, I wouldn't pick you.

Roger that... you may be my horse to win the race against Mike, but lose the girl/guy battle for sure.  lol

Great catching guys and the one that almost was!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
Now they got a taste of some Bay action, cool report 8)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Lol Binh! It was a trip i told them we'd do a while back. By the way, I wasn't laid off. Oscar and I were retained, but I lost 5 of my direct reports and they were 3 of them.

Glad to hear you still have a job. Just for the record, I would rather fish with those girls then Mike too. ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
Great report. I'm happy to hear about the action in the bay is happening again. My boys and I are going to try next weekend. We've got some bait to burn, finally.

I think some good karma points were repaid from that session and you were retained at you job. Sorry to here about the other stuff happening.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:44:56 PM »
The smiles say it all...................very cool indeed, Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect